Saturday, November 28, 2009

Done!

I did it! I sat here this afternoon and wrote and wrote and wrote myself right to The End. Woohoo! Here you go:

“Hello? Is anyone here?” A woman’s voice came from the lobby. Iggy and I pulled apart and I ran my hand through my hair and smoothed my shorts. A grin spread my lips. “A customer?” I whispered to Iggy as I went toward the front of the hotel. “Can I help you?” I asked as I walked into the room, the setting sun shining through the newly hung curtains, painting the room red gold. I shaded my eyes with my hand. “I am sorry but we are not open yet.” I turned so that the sun was not blinding me to see a woman about my age with a tote bag on one shoulder and a straw hat in her hand. “Oh, you are not?” I shook my head and her shoulders slumped. “I have been walking by for the past ten days hoping that you would be opening soon.” “We just finished the renovations and refurnishing today,” I told her, “we have not even had a dry run. I just moved into my apartment in back…” I stopped making excuses and said, “Were you looking to stay here?” A brilliant smile lit her face. “Oh, yes. I am planning to be on the island for another two weeks, perhaps a month, and I made a terrible mistake when I rented a villa at Shoal Bay.” “Why? It is nice there.” She gave a rueful laugh. “Nice but pricey. I saw your website, nice design by the way, and your rates are much more in my price range.” A small fist of cold hit my stomach but excited warmth ran along my veins. I held out my hand. “I am Rose Lambert, owner of the Seaview, and I would be happy if you would be my first guest…” “Janet,” she said, “Janet Fielding. I am a writer.” We talked for a while longer making arrangements for Janet to move her things from Shoal Bay to the Seaview on Saturday. I took her upstairs and she chose the butter yellow room overlooking the sea. It is the one I would have chosen to write a novel in too. After Janet Fielding left I stood in the pale golden light from the fading sunset and realized that my dream was coming true. Tomorrow we would celebrate the completion of one part of my dream, my children, my new friends, and me, but tonight, right now, the next part of fulfilling that dream had already begun.


The End


Daily total: 2435 words

Total count: 51,032 words


Can't type anymore, must dance.

--Barbara


No comments: