Monday, November 2, 2009

Too Big of a Bite?

I find myself wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew this month. I'm dieting (have been for the last 6 months so it's always on my mind), I'm determined to work out for at least 10 minutes every day, I'm dedicated to writing from an art prompt every day, and I've signed up for NaNoWriMo so I'm committed to writing a 50,000 word novel draft this month. Plus work, and chores around the house, and have a conversation with Durwood every once in a while. Do you think it's too much for one medium-sized middle-aged woman to tackle?

Here's today's art prompt effort: November 2--Odilon Redon, Standing Veiled Woman. She hated standing there like that. Her arm ached from holding it up and her lower back was shooting pains down her legs. She knew that Madame Redon, the painter, would make her famous but why did she have to be so slow at her work? Madame had shown her the colors she meant to use and they were beautiful, a creamy yellow for her mantle and pale pink for her dress, but Madame kept picking up other colors like deep blue green and even red. What was she doing with those bright colors? Madame wasn't making her look like a gypsy, was she? Without moving her body or her head, she darted her eyes to see what in her surroundings were those colors and found nothing. She watched Madame as she worked too. She got nervous when the artist stood frowning at the easel and when Madame would lunge and slash at the canvas she felt as if she were being pelted by blows. This posing was nerve wracking. Wasn't it time for a rest?

Well, that certainly took off in an unanticipated direction.
--Barbara

No comments: