Sunday, November 8, 2009

Demo Work

That's what Rose and her hired man Silas did this weekend, they tore out all the rotten and mildewed walls and boards in the beachfront guest house she bought. I had a beautiful Indian Summer weekend to sit in the sun on the front porch and write, at least until my bum got too cold from the cement. I'm liking my story so far. Next week I need to start throwing conflicts and crisis at Rose so she doesn't get bored or complacent. Here's a tidbit:

The next morning when I got to the Seaview Silas was already there and he was not alone. He introduced me to his cousin Edward and two other friends, Shaggy, and Bo, who were all awaiting a promised job at the Shearwater resort over on Saint Martin that was slow in appearing. The boys had finished tearing out everything that Silas and I had agreed needed to go on the first floor and had moved upstairs. They had rigged a slide out one of the bedroom windows so they could safely throw things out onto a pile in the back garden. When I asked why they had not made the slide end in the dumpster he shook his head at my foolishness. “You need to go through it all, pull out the boards that can be saved…” He smiled at the look on my face. “Yes, Ms. Rose, more nail pulling.” We said those words together. “Once we get a couple of these rooms cleared out I will send Shaggy and Bo out to help sort. You, I will not deprive of the honor of pulling all the nails now that you have gotten so good at it.” He turned back to the sweaty work of prying off the crumbling plaster and lath that had spent the better part of the last decade growing a bumper crop of mildew.

Daily count: 1889 words
Total count: 14,577 words

Keep typing!
--Barbara

No comments: