Thursday, November 19, 2009

How Many 'F's are There in Frustrated?

Last night after supper and after watching the new episode of Mythbusters (I love them), I went back to my desk and wrote the rest of my words for the day. Then I tried to boot up the internet, and it couldn't find it. So I went out to the living room and unplugged and rebooted the wireless router. Still wouldn't work. I turned off mylaptop and restarted that. Still no luck. Then I decided that I was done with the whole frustrating thing so I went to watch more mindless TV with Durwood while I ate my pudding (with mini chocolate chips on top to salve my frustration) and then I went to bed. Here's a bit of yesterday's words:

It seemed to take hours for Luke and Melvin, Edward, Silas, and Nando Gomez to drink up and leave. I did not order any food for the group like I usually did, no conch fritters or fresh pineapple spears to nibble on, nothing. Iggy sat beside me at the bar and when I turned to speak to Nando and Edward who seemed to be at least three drinks ahead of everyone else, or maybe neither of them has much of a head for alcohol, I sensed him leaning down to touch his nose to my neck and sniff. Just that small touch made me shiver. Finally they all decided to go drive over to Shoal Bay to visit another bar. I never go along so their invitation was only half hearted. Evidently Iggy was exempt from their pleas because he was Silas’ uncle and there fore considered too old for bar hopping. We both turned on our bar stools calling out good byes and waving off the others before turning back toward the bar where our drinks waited in puddles of condensation. Iggy turned toward me and caught my knees between his as I turned. His hands reached for mine and stopped my motion so that we faced each other. He leaned toward me, his dark brown eyes glimmering in the flickering light from the tiki torches around the bar. “I thought they would never leave,” he said in a low voice so that his brother, Johnno, who was behind the bar that night, would not hear. My chest felt tight with his nearness and my breath came in little gasps. “I know. I was about ready to fire the lot of them just to make them go away.” As tempted as I was to lean just the smallest fraction forward and feel his lips on mine again, I knew that we were still basically sitting in the middle of my new neighborhood, on display for everyone to see and comment on. I took a deep breath. “Would you be interested in walking me home?” I knew that he saw the glint in my eyes too. He gave a nod and released my hands. Both of us swiveled to the bar, picked up our glasses, drained them, and got up to leave. Johnno’s voice boomed out. “First you drive off my son and the customers he came in with, and now you are leaving too?” He walked toward us with his bar towel over his shoulder and his arms folded across his chest. “We did no such thing, Johnno. Are you blind?” Iggy said. “Those boys took off for Captain Mike’s in Shoal Bay. He has a cook out and music tonight. All the little tourist girls will be there shaking their booties. Draws the young men like bees to nectar.” Johnno shook his head. “And you are not drawn to that nectar, eh, Iggy? Got your own brand of honey, bro?” I felt Iggy tense and jumped in. “I worked Iggy so hard this week and I am so beat myself from sewing curtains from enough material to make a boat cover that I asked him to walk me over to Sydans; I am feeling my rum a bit tonight.” Iggy took my arm and helped me slide off my stool. “See you tomorrow, brother,” he said over his shoulder as we walked out onto the sand.

Daily count: 1672 words
Total count: 31,696 words

Tonight's writer's and I'm looking forward to it. I almost have my 1000 word assignment story done. Can't wait to see what we do with it.
--Barbara

No comments: