Friday, November 20, 2009

D'Oh

I'm getting darned tired of forgetting things. I kept reminding myself to remove my thumb drive from the USB port on the work computer, my memory stick where I save my writings so that I can easily take them from home to work and back. I did it yesterday when I unplugged the USB cable that links the computer at work to my Alphasmart so I can see what I have written. I distinctly remember looking down at the thumb drive glimmering silver at about knee level and thinking, now don't forget that so you can load up your words for today when you get home. Don't forget. Guess what? I forgot it. And I didn't remember it until I got home. So I had to retype it this morning so that I could post it. I knew you didn't want to miss it. It's a juicy part, even if it is shorter than normal. These words came slower and harder than usual. Here's a peek:

I caught my breath as a droplet of perspiration rolled down my spine and I wondered if I was ready, really ready, to do this. My sudden doubt must have shown on my face because Iggy tipped my chin up with one finger. “What?” I took a deep breath and reached for our glasses of juice on the counter beside him. “I am, un, feeling a bit afraid.” I took a big sip of juice to give me a moment to gather what I wanted to say. He sat there still like he always sat, as if he had all the patience in the world. “I want to rush into a physical relationship with you, Iggy, and yet I am afraid.” “Afraid of what?” Suddenly I could not meet his eyes. “I am afraid that it is too soon since Jim dies and people will talk.” But Jim has not been on this island for, what, four years? When you arrived word went around that you are a widow of not many years, but people do know that you are a widow. They will not judge you for that. What else?” I shook my head at my thoughts. “What?” he asked again, smiling in the dark. “I love working with you, Iggy. I love talking to you and teasing you and being teased by you. You are my first real friend on Anguilla. What if we start a relationship and it does not work out? What if I lose my electrician, my friend, and my lover all at once if we fight?” I could hear the tears in my voice and took another drink to wash them away. He reached out his hand and gently took mine. “Oh Rose, my Rosie, do not think that you will lose me so quickly. We can stop right now and I will not be angry.” He chuckled. “What?” I asked. “What is funny?” He shook his head. “I have been trying so hard for two weeks now not to rush into this with you. I have been holding myself in, not touching your face, not kissing those sassy lips, not putting my hand on you some way every day. I can wait a while longer, I think, if you need me to.”


Daily count: 1021 words

Total count: 32,717 words


11 more writing days until The End. Holy cats!

--Barbara


No comments: