Monday, November 9, 2009

Ooh, I'm Loving This

I made up my mind to start throwing conflict and crisis at Rose in my NaNo novel today. So this afternoon I pulled out Alphie and started. I thought I would ease into it by having her drive a splinter up under a nail (ouch!) or something but when she walked up to the Seaview the back door was open and someone had lit a fire in a tub in the sitting room/lobby! There were beer bottles all over the floor. What a mess. What fun!

I called the Anguilla Tourism Information Office in NY today and they are sending me brochures and maps. The nice lady who answered the phone and I made ourselves sad discussing where we would go for supper if we were on the island. *sigh* It would be lovely to be there once the snow flies.

Here's today's tidbit: I awoke the next morning to the sound of roaring wind and driving rain. Even the courtyard rooster that I had dubbed Errol Flynn for his varied harem and loud crowing boasts was silent in the face of the storm. I plugged in the coffee and opened the sliding door to the outdoors. The rain spattered on the tiles sounding like a fire hose on high. I had a feeling that no work would happen that day but I showered and dressed anyway while the coffee perked. It had been a long time since I had used a percolator and I was enjoying the homey sound it made. It took long enough so that I had plenty of time to get myself ready in the morning, coming out of the bathroom as the last flurry of perks filled the studio. I had learned to let the coffee settle while I dressed after pouring myself a cup too soon the first morning and getting at least a half inch of sludge with it. As I stood watching the rain it began to slacken, and by the time I had downed a bowl of Cheerios with skim milk and a banana, it had stopped. I pulled on my work tennis shoes, picked up my hammer which felt like it was trying to grow into my hand, and left for the short commute down the road to my hotel. My hotel, just the sound of those two words filled me with excitement and pride. When I got there the back door from the garden into the kitchen was standing open.

Daily count: 1807 words
Total: 16,384 words

Dream big today.
--Barbara

No comments: