Sunday, October 28, 2012

Whaddaya Gonna Do Today?

I'm probably going to rake or blow the last of the leaves.  I am definitely going to be hanging around outside waiting for a pair of big, loud, gray fighter planes to come over before the Packer game. (they had a practice run yesterday, hehehehe, I love that, a bonus flyover)  I might cut and uproot all of the dead plants in the yard, pile them on a tarp, and drag them down to the curb.  Or I may just goof off all day and then feel bad about not doing anything constructive.  Right now I'm kinda tired of always being "it" when it comes to doing yard and seasonal stuff.  Oh, I know that Durwood can't do it, I know he wishes he could, feels bad that he can't, and usually I'm just fine with it.  But right now, this weekend, I want it to be someone else's job.  I'll take that magic wand, thank you very much.  Good thing the sun's shining today or I'd be in the sub-basement, mood-wise.  Oh and by the way, I'd like to eat at least an entire loaf of warm, crusty Italian bread too--with butter of course.  Today's Photo a Day theme is "looking back" so I scrolled back through the "assorted stuff" folder of digital photos and found the perfect one.  It's a jar of battery operated fireflies that DD gave me for Christmas years back.  I love it.  It reminds me of those summer nights when I was outside with a quart jar catching fireflies (before DDT and a whole host of other pesticides essentially did away with them) and then sitting the jar on my nightstand and watching them blink as I fell asleep.  I've always felt that I had a charmed childhood and that little jar of blinking lights reminds me of those days.  Thanks again, DD.

October 28--Carleton E. Watkins, Sheer Cliffs, Washington.  Kay felt the drop behind her.  She knew she couldn't back up one more step.  Even in the fog that had been a surprise at sunrise she knew when she got near the top of the cliff.  She couldn't tell why or how she knew, maybe because the tree sounds had disappeared behind her, but she knew she had run as far as she could.  If she was careful she could turn the fog to her advantage.  She listened for Manning's approach, quieting her breathing and trying to slow her pounding heart.  The fog dampened the clatter of the leaves and muted the sounds of the bay on the rocks far below.  She thought she heard a step off to her left so she began edging  to the right.  She felt along the ground with her foot, careful not to snap a twig or crunch leaves that would give away her position.  After a dozen sliding steps she felt his warm breath on her cheek right before his arms circled her like a vise.

No comments: