Sunday, October 7, 2012

September Quilt Blocks

Yeah, I know it's October but I was intimidated by the curved piecing of the September ones and having to make my own templates since I wasn't willing to spend $18 on the "official" ones if I didn't know if I'd like making them (and I don't), but I girded my loins the other day and dived in.  I realized only after I'd cut out all the pieces for the Chain block that I'd followed the printed directions--and they're wrong.  It said to add a 1/4" seam allowance on the pieces and shouldn't have.  I thought about tossing those and cutting again, then yesterday I thought "what the heck" and just sewed them up.  Putzy, putzy, putzy.  Sixteen little 3 1/2" squares made from two oppositely curved pieces, each one needing 7 pins to hold the raw edges together... DROVE ME NUTS.  (oh, sorry, I didn't mean to shout.)  Once all the pieces were sewn together and the block was trimmed all nice and square, I liked it.  Still do.  It's not exactly like her example but when has anyone made something exactly right the first time.  I liked it enough cut the pieces last night and tackle sewing the next one today.


The second September block's called Cleopatra's Puzzle and it too is made from those little annoying wedges and L-shaped pieces which curve away from each other until you wrestle them into submission with a raft of pins.  Good thing I'm patient, also have audiobooks to listen to because otherwise I'd be even nutzier than I already am.  I'm not sure that choosing a "one way" design was wise but it's done and it looks okay.  Who's going to notice?  It's not like I beheaded a bunch of birds like I did a few months back.

2 comments:

BFayBooks said...

Knitting underwater - taking the concept of "preshrunk" to new depths. You are a joy to read. And your name is like music to my ears.

Aunt B said...

I can see why those would drive you nuts but they really are pretty. Good thing you're a patient person. "Patient"???? I guess I'll add that to my list of adjectives to describe you but it won't be #1!!! Interesting, curious, busy (definitely busy), clever -- OK, and now patient.