Saturday, October 20, 2012

Now The Sun Shines

Now that we're home, the rain stops and the sun comes out.  Sheesh.  Who is in charge of the weather?  Did I use up all my weather-fu on our Western Adventure?  Evidently, because it drizzled all during our drive down to Racine, rained when we drove with AddCinHub to Gurnee for supper on Thursday, drizzled when we went malling and to the Jelly Belly factory on Friday.  It quit when we went to downtown-ish Milwaukee for gyros and ice cream (not together, silly, one after the other), but started up again when we drove into Kenosha to eat supper at The Boathouse on cda's recommendation.  (thanks, cda, we loved it)  This morning it was gray when we were all loading up and by the time we got to Sheboygan (about halfway home) the sun was peeking out.  It went back in for a while and then emerged to bathe most of the afternoon in sunshine.  Not at 4 o'clock, of course, because "4 o'clock" is the Photo a Day theme today.  It would have been too much to ask that it be sunny when I wanted to take a picture.  Just before 4 o'clock I was talking to DS on the phone while watching a bunny rabbit nibble picturesquely on an apple.  Did it stick around to have its portrait made at 4 o'clock?  It did not.  So I was reduced to taking a snap of the nearly leafless maple tree, the leaf carpeted lawn, and the gray sky.  *shrug*  What can you do?  Right now I'm simmering onions, acorn squash, and rosemary in chicken broth, then it'll get whirred with the stick blender, topped with a sprinkle of green onion with cheese toast on the side.  A-a-a-a-a-and there's the timer...  Okay, I'm back.  The soup's good but it's a little thin for a work lunch so I think I'm going to go pick up a rotisserie chicken tomorrow and stir in some of the meat.  We didn't have a baguette in the freezer so I semi-defrosted a veggie loaf that HZ gave us and topped those slices with shredded cheddar and then popped them under the broiler.  Mmm.  Durwood was a bit surprised that supper got made and he didn't help.  (Next time I decide to peel a raw acorn squash I think I'll let him do it.  That is one hard squash to peel with all the ridges; no wonder the recipe called for butternut.)

I didn't write last night, I was too tired and pretty tapped out, so I just turned off the light and zonked.  You understand.
--Barbara

No comments: