Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It's Hump Day!

And it feels like it to me.  I feel like I'm at the peak ready to slide down a slope toward the weekend.  The good thing is that we're going to Racine tomorrow to meet AddCinHub for a couple days, to do a little shopping (the Black & Decker outlet!  tools!! and kitchen stuff for Durwood!), and just spend some time with them.  We'll be coming home on Saturday so that we all have Sunday to "do stuff" before the workweek rears its ugly head again.  
 
D'ja ever notice that you can estimate the outside temps by how the light looks?  I know it's not cold out there, not below, say, 40 degrees because it just looks warmish.  The air/light/something out there looks different, more golden maybe, than it'd look if it were in the 20s or 30s, when it'd look more blue perhaps.  Oh, I can't explain it, maybe what I'm really sensing is the air that's coming in the barely open window next to me, or that the house temp never got below 70 overnight even though we set the thermostat at 64.  Whatever, it's supposed to hit 68 degrees today and I'm glad even though I'm also glad that it's time to wear long jeans and a cardi.  I like cool rather than hot.  I get hot too easily, so cool's better for me.

Today's Photo a Day theme is "fruit."  Every evening after supper Durwood and I share an orange and a while back we had some ripe plums and some perfect red grapes, so instead of just carrying the orange wedges over on the cutting board I got a little plate and arranged them so they looked pretty.  I thought it made them all taste even better.  You love fruit?  I love fruit.  I had a fabulous Honey Crisp apple for a bedtime snack last night.  Well, Durwood was eating tomatoes and I wanted something too but not tomatoes and not something salty or bad for me so I got an apple that I sliced up into really thin slices that I munched on while I bound off the last, endless row of my Lava shawl.  I almost made it on 2 skeins but had to tap into another skein just for the bind off.  I hate that.  Luckily the woman I bought the yarn from had made something with it and sent along her leftovers in addition to the untouched skeins.  Whew.  Next comes blocking, then I can show it to you.

I did sew the first of the October quilt blocks which is #19 in the grand scheme of things.  It was a labor intensive, prep intensive pattern, and the next one's no different.  It took me way longer than I thought it would to get that first one done, but then I confess I did change my mind about the fabrics at the last minute so I spent a good amount of time pulling out scraps of fabric and making different piles to see what I liked best. Then there was all that sewing and trimming, then paper pattern removing and assembly.  I like the result but ran out of time for sewing #20... the LAST one.  I'll get to it next week.  Cross my heart.  And then I'll show you all 20 of them laid out in a grid.

October 17--Chitarman, Shah Jahan on Terrace, Holding Pennant Set with his Portrait.  The air was thick with the smell of heat and rot.  It was too hot even for the cicadas to sing their love songs.  Leah prayed for a breeze, any movement of air would be a relief.  Every droplet of sweat that crept down her skin make her afraid that it was a poisonous insect preparing to bite her.

That art did not inspire me.  Can you tell?  Hey, are you liking the paragraph thing or did you like the stream of consciousness all one long babble better?  I can't decide.  The paragraphs make it easier to read but I feel like I lost some of the immediacy of it.  Too many pictures?  Thoughts?
--Barbara Sue

No comments: