Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Eve Eve

The countdown has begun. Only today and tomorrow left of 2010, and then we get to draw a line and start over fresh. I, for one, am glad of it. I want a fresh start in a bunch of areas of my life. I'm looking forward to having Art to write about instead of Islands. I want to get back to exercising more regularly and be a little stricter about what I eat. Stuff like that. I always have too high expectations of myself so I'd like to learn to moderate that a bit. That'd be good to learn in the calender year I turn 60, don't you think? It's never too late to improve!

December 29--Florencia Bay, Canada.

Glaciers carved the shore
like sculptors in clay.
The sea rushed in to
hide the scars.
Pines grew straight and tall,
close to one another
to anchor the rock.
Gulls cry their mourning
for the lost earth/flesh.
Salty tears bathe
limestone boulders.
Beachcombers pace the shore
pockets laden with agates
that wink from the shallows.
~~~~~

Interesting. I might just pull out a line from this one and "go deeper" as Ellen Kort recommends in her poetry workshops. See? That'd be a good thing to do in the new year, explore the depths of my writing again. Maybe that'd recharge my batteries, re-energize my pencils. Time will tell.
--Barbara

No comments: