Saturday, May 4, 2019

Sunburnt

I ran away from home this morning up Door County to meet my friend KS for lunch at a deli in Sister Bay, then we went up to the little marina behind the Pioneer Store in Ellison Bay to sit in the sun and knitted the afternoon away.  It was a glorious day, sunny and clear, with a little breeze.  I knew I was sure to get sunburned because I forgot to bring sunscreen but couldn't bear to get into the shade.  So I spread aloe on my face and the backs of my hands when I got home.  I'll remember to put sunscreen in the car in the morning.





Look how beautiful the bay was today.  Pretty soon this little marina will be full of boats but today it lay empty in the sunshine waiting for them to come.  A few people launched their boats while we sat and knitted but it was a lazy day compared to the high energy of summer.





I love this sculpture that watches the bay. 




 


While I was there KS and I visited my favorite Door County place, The Clearing (she works there).  Residential classes have begun so we just went to the Jensen Center so I could poke around in the gift shop just in case there was something there that I couldn't resist.  There wasn't.




I knitted on my Afterthought Everything sock and have about an inch to knit before time to put in the waste yarn for the second sock's heel, then knit my way up the leg to the cuff.  After that the white yarn that's place-holding for the heels and toes will get carefully removed, the live stitches caught, and heels and toes added to make actual, working socks.  That's the theory anyway.



The grape hyacinths are so beautiful and so purple that I took the camera out when I got home this afternoon to see if I couldn't get a better shot of them.  I think I did all right.


4 May--Persian school, Rug from Isfahan.  Her bare feet glided across the rug.  It felt like angel's wings.  Mama said it was made of silk.  Lee Ann noticed how people's voices changed when they said "silk," kind of hushed like it was real special.  She just knew that the rug in the hall was the best one to dance on because it was so smooth and soft.  She floated in a slow circle in and out of the rays of sunshine that came through the round window over the stairs to music only she could hear.

All-righty then.  I'm falling asleep sitting here typing.  It's tiring being out in the fresh air and sunshine most of the day, not to mention driving 87 miles up the peninsula and back.  Hm, it doesn't seem that far when I'm driving it, probably because of all the weekends we drove up there to go diving in Garrett Bay which is just up the road from The Clearing.  Good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay!! So glad you're feeling better. Even though you had to drive 87 miles, sitting and knitting on the bay -- in the sunshine -- tells me you're back to being your usual 100% Barbara. Love all the pictures, as always, especially the close-up of healthy-looking you.