Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Perfect Timing


I've got it.  I waited to run a whole slew of errands until this afternoon when it started raining.  Naturally I didn't wear a raincoat or rain boots, although I have both, I didn't even use an umbrella.  Not. Very. Bright.


Today is the day that the food store and garden center ads come in the newspaper and this time of year the garden center has a coupon for an annual, usually $1, "while supplies last."  This week's offering is a parsley plant.  Last year I waited too late to get my plant and was stuck buying a curly parsley plant.  Not that there's anything wrong with curly parsley, it tastes just as good as the flat-leaf stuff but I wanted flat-leaf so I took my little coupon and my $1.06 to the garden center for my plant.  Of course this time of year the plants are outdoors, not under a roof, and the clerk sent me down the incorrect aisle so I spent extra time out in the rain to get my $1 parsley plant.  My $1 curly parsley plant.  Because that was the only variety they had.  There's flat-leaf plants out there somewhere, I know there are.  Maybe I should get some seeds...


DS shared the name of their dentist with me earlier this week so today I called and made an appointment for Friday.  I was happy to hear that I could get in so quickly.  I know I'll like him better than the dentist that replaced my dive buddy dentist that retired at the end of 2017.



I spent most of today knitting (except when I was running around the west side getting rained on, that is) and got my Fair Isle/Fake Isle homework done for the guild program next week.  I'm glad that I decided to use the creamy white instead of the black, it's a greater contrast so I can see what I'm doing.




Usually the night light of the office building behind the house doesn't shine over the fence but it reflected on the rain tonight and looked very moody and kind of cool.




8 May--Claude Monet, Water Lilies (Nympheas).  The pond water lay flat and still in the midday heat.  A few crickets chirped in the underbrush, a pair of iridescent dragonflies danced in a shaft of sunlight, and a tiny green frog sat on a lily pad in the shelter of its pink flower.  Jane lay with her chin on one hand, trailing the other hand lightly over the water which made the frog's lily pad bumped up and down a little.  The frog's liquid eyes watched her.  "What are you looking at?" Jane asked. "Do I have mud on my nose?"  The frog blinked and shifted on its bobbing pad.  "Aunt Nannie says it's time for me to go to school but I don't want to go.  I can read and I know my numbers.  What else is there?" The frog blinked again and didn't answer.

It felt good to just sit and knit today.  I should have erranded in the morning when it wasn't raining but then what would I have to complain about?  Gotta have something to complain about.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Just when you're finally getting over a cold, you run around in the rain! And for a one dollar parsley plant? Consider this a reprimand from your old Aunt B! Love the nighttime picture out your patio door. Very "noir."