Wednesday, May 1, 2019

But No Worse

Last night was no picnic though.  The cough kept waking me up until about 1 o'clock when I
guess I just got too tired to be disturbed.  Every time I get a cold I get a cough that tries to turn my lungs inside out.  Fortunately it doesn't last long.  I napped some on the couch today, ate chicken soup, and drank orange juice with ginger ale.  I'll do the same tomorrow because I have knitting stuff to go to on Friday and Saturday that I'd like to feel better for.  For supper I finished up the chicken salad I made last week.  Even though my taste buds have been stunned by the cold so I couldn't really taste it, I enjoyed the texture and the memory of how it tasted.



When I woke up (too early) this morning I heard raindrops pecking at the window over my head.  It was really raining, rained most of the morning, and never got up to 45 degrees.  How do you like that for May 1?  My brother-in-law RJ called from South Carolina last night to say that it had been 86 there yesterday.  He groaned and then laughed when I told him that our high temperature yesterday was half that.






This pair of bunnies had fun playing chase games around and around the fallen birdseed.



 

Sitting on the couch all day I got the third triangle of this wrap finished and the stitches of the fourth one picked up and a few rows knitted.  This is a simple, mindless pattern so it's perfect for my limited brain power right now.




I also got this used copy of an Elizabeth Zimmerman knitting book in the mail.  She's kind of the patron saint of modern knitting, had a PBS series, and lived (and died) in Wisconsin.  I look forward to paging through it.


1 May--Guido Reni, The Archangel Michael Defeating Satan.  Josh couldn't tell which was the good guy and which one was bad.  It was too dark in the alley.  He couldn't see much at all, just arms and legs moving like pistons.  He heard the fight more than saw it, heard the thuds of fists hitting flesh and the grunts of pain and exertion.  Mike and Luc had traded words in the bar, which turned into hard shoves that got them tossed out the back door into the alley.  Josh wasn't clear what they fought about, maybe a girl, maybe something else.  How long should he let it go on before he waded in to try and stop it?  How much did he want to risk his own skin to make them stop?

My excuse for the low quality of the above is that my head is full of snot, my ears are ringing from coughing so much, and my throat is sore for the same reason.  Whine, whine, whine, I know.  Do you feel sorry for me?  Was I pathetic enough to earn your sympathy?  Soon to bed.  Maybe I can leave the cough in the hall.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I was sure you'd sign off with that little ditty from your dad - "Hooray, Hooray. The first of May. Outdoor....." Well, you know the rest. I repeated it to one of my racier friends at the Club yesterday and she loved it. Did give credit to H. But you can only use it once a year!! Hope another day of couch sitting begins to conquer the dreadful spring cold. No fun!!