Tuesday, May 14, 2019

I Had To Buy Them

 

I'm going to spend the weekend with a friend in the Chicago suburbs, to go to brunch and see a play with her and some other writer women (surprise!), so I looked at the robes and pjs in Meijer today when I went for groceries.  I didn't find a robe that I liked but I did find a creamy white overshirt sweater thing that will do until I find (or make) what I want.  It was when I flipped the sale pjs rack that I fell in love, and fell hard.  It looked like a plan gray tank top with a sequined crown on a black sequined square on the front and I was about to flip past it, but then I noticed the tag dangling from the shoulder that said "reversible sequins."  What did that mean?  I ran my hand up the sequins and they flipped over to reveal the word "Queen" above a bee on a gold sequined square.  The pj bottoms are white with narrow black stripes and cartoon bees printed all over them.  I love bees.  My name begins with a "B".  When we had a pool and I made swimsuits for the whole family every summer, I sewed a little bee applique on the left side of each one.  Also the pjs were 30% off.  I had to buy them.  Everyone should have new pjs for a weekend in Chicago, right?








The weather today was absolutely perfect--sunny and warm.  I went out to fill the birdbath and realized that it was warm enough to have coffee and read the paper on the patio.  It was warm enough to do patio yoga--if I swept all the birdseed hulls etc. off--I did that.








 



While sitting out there basking in the sun I realized that it's time to put out the hummingbird and oriole feeders.  I did that too.  It took all my determination to come indoors, put on going to the grocery clothes, and drive off.  But I did.  I had to, I was destined to buy those bee pjs.


 

After lunch I went to the Y to spend some time on the elliptical, not as long as I wanted to because I suddenly remembered that I had an appointment to get my oil changed.  I was only a few minutes late but the mechanic wasn't peeved.  While I sat waiting I finished Car Warshrag #13.  I'll have to cast on #14 so I'm not out and about without a car door project.  That would be bad.



I finally got a photo of the grape hyacinths that I like.  No, they don't have a fragrance but they're still beautiful.


14 May--Ferdinand Heilbuth, The Reader.  I love the way books smell, like age and promise and comfort.  They weight of a book can hold me safe when monsters rage on the pages.  A book can hook me and pull me into different worlds, can carry me into space or to the center of the earth.  With a book in my hands I can be anyone--a pirate, a cowgirl, a queen, or a warrior.  The 26 letters of the alphabet twist and turn every possible way on the pages of a book, working a magic trick for us all.

I wish that the weather would stay the same for about 6 months, warm and breezy and sunny.  I know it won't but a girl can dream.  You know what's frustrating?  When they discontinue the toilet cleaning scrubber things that I like which means I have to invest in some other technology that isn't as simple or satisfying.  Humph.  Not that I'm a cleaning maven but I like what I like.  Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.  I've decided to try getting to bed before 11 o'clock (or later) so I don't sleep until 8:30 or 9:00 AM.  That makes the morning too short.  So, goodnight.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Of course you had to buy those pj's. Too cute to be only worn to bed but nice that you'll have them for a weekend getaway. So glad the weather is being kind to you. The back yard looks very tempting -- all green and sunny and inviting. Perfect for outdoor yoga.