Friday, May 3, 2019

Slightly Closer to Humanity

But this morning I had one hell of a coughing jag that led me to bail on both of today's knitting commitments.  Not only did I feel like fried crap but I didn't want to share my germs with anyone.  Grr.  So I spent most of another day on the couch knitting and watching TV.  Except for the half hour I spent sleeping with my head on my crossed arms on the kitchen table, that is.  Falling asleep at the table leads me to think that I might not be as close to well as I'd imagined but I'm getting there.


The squirrel that figured out how to scale the screen and jump across to the seed wreath completed its decimation of said wreath today.  On Sunday I'll get out the ladder, take down the skeleton of the seed wreath, and rehang my menopausal goddess sculpture.



There was just a hint of color at the horizon when I closed the living room drapes.  I know it's crisscrossed with wires and blasted by the lights of the used car lot but I really like the view of the sky from my porch.


 


The grape hyacinths are in their glory.  Every year more of them pop up in the edge of the lawn.  They're so small that you really have to get close to admire them but there's a lot of 'em out there.




A week (more or less) of couch sitting meant a lot of mindless knitting on the Triangle Wrap that I'm making for the guild charity pile.  I finished the fourth triangle today and picked up stitches for the fifth one.  The pattern says to make seven triangles but a lot of the people who have made it and left notes on Ravelry said that seven is too long.  I'll see how much wrap I have when number five is done and probably will go the distance.  The yarn isn't fun to knit, it doesn't have any spring, but I'd like to knit up as much of it as I can.


This afternoon I finally got dressed in real clothes and went to Walmart.  I needed another bag of cough drops and I really thought if I didn't get outside soon I'd end up staying indoors forever.  I even found myself a new pair of jammies.  I'd bought some on a whim a month or so ago, love them, and was thrilled to find the same style in different fabric and in my size.  How's that for luck?  And I even had a gift card with more than enough on it to pay for the jammies.  It was meant to be.


3 May--Diego Rivera, The Flower Seller.  Luisa wrapped the lily stems in wet newspaper then put the bunches into the baskets that lined her wagon.  The sun hadn't risen so the walk to the market would be easy, even with pulling the heavy wagon.  Raul would get up as she was leaving to have a bite of cold tortilla and a mug of tea before working in the fields all day.  Luisa imagined that the fragrant lily flowers nodded their approval of the care she and Raul took of their farm and each other.

I am so ready to be done with this cold.  I want to get my bales next week and get the conditioning started.  It's May and the garden looks like it's still winter.  Oh!  I noticed that CG must have stopped by when I was in the shower because there's an orange string across the back of the lot right in front of the retaining wall.  Maybe that means they'll be here to do the work next week.  That'd be good.
--Barbara

No comments: