Sunday, May 12, 2019

No Resistance

This afternoon I went to work out on the weight machines at the Y and on the way home I stopped at the garden center for seed potatoes, onion and garlic sets.  Well...  I also got shallots and six pots of herbs.  I couldn't leave without them.  There they were, smelling so good, and there were only two pots of thyme left and what if they didn't restock?  So now I have regular and lemon thyme, rosemary, 2 sweet basil, and flat-leaf parsley.  I'll plant them around the edges of the already composted bales, I think.  I'll figure it out.


DS brought LC Newt and OJ Doodlebug (my names for them) over to wish me Happy Mother's Day this morning.  They made me cards, which I love.  We watered the bales and filled the birdfeeders, then they discovered the joy of climbing to the highest point of the backyard hill and running down, again and again.  It was a lovely way to spend a morning.  DIL1 had to work all weekend because it's graduation at the college where she works.  No fun.



All sorts of things are coming up.  Look at these fern fronds.  I love these purple ones with their curled tops like an old-time bishop's crozier,





this fern has bright green fronds that come up like spears and then unfurl,







and on this kind of fern the fronds are curled like a little fist in the center of last year's fronds.  I don't remember the varieties of fern for any of them.  I might have them listed in a notebook I used to keep but probably not.





The peonies are making an appearance






 
and the rhubarb is ready to be picked and made into something yummy.  I see rhubarb-orange quick bread in my future.



Oh, and when I got home from the Y and the garden center this little gray squirrel was making itself at home on top of the bales.  That has to stop.  Soon.  I don't know how but I'll think of something.







12 May--Mary Stevenson Cassatt, Breakfast in Bed.  Melissa snuggled up against me, her small body radiated heat like a little furnace.  It felt good on this chilly spring morning.  Her brown curls fluttered against my cheek, moving with my breath.  She suckled at my breast making soft gulping sounds and patted me with her hand.  Nursing had not come easy to either of us but now that we'd figured it out it felt like the most natural of things.  I heard Dale rattling around in the kitchen making coffee and hoped he'd bring me some so I could have breakfast in bed too.

I hope you all had Happy Mother's Days.  I sure did.  The sun even shone and I was a good girl and went to work out.  *pats self on back*  Tomorrow I plant potatoes, onions, garlic, and shallots.  Eeee!  Planting!  I can't wait.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Farm report!! So many things growing -- and many more to come. All the tiny fern sprouts and then that beautiful rhubarb plant just shouts "look at me." And who could not admire that bright green offering. Do not let the squirrels destroy all the wonderful stuff already out there and the future harvest! Know you'll think of something to thwart them.