Sunday, May 19, 2019

I'm Ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-ck!

I got home early this evening.  Left Naperville before 10 AM, stopped in Sheboygan for Sunday luncheon with my brother, AJ, and his family (even CA was home for the weekend!  yay!), then toodled on home in the misty rain-ish.  The warm temps held until I hit Milwaukee, from 70 to 47 in a hundred miles.  The most notable driving news of the weekend is that about 20 miles before I arrived at my friend cda's house on Friday my HHR odometer rolled over 100 thousand miles.  I even managed to snap a photo without driving into the ditch or ricocheting off another car.

Once again I realized that the kind of driving that I really like to do is big-city interstate driving.  I like 4+ lanes of traffic with all the cars and trucks going better than 70 mph.  I will confess (now that I am home and the car is in the garage) that I rarely drove the speed limit and most of the time on 294 around Chicago was spent at about 80 mph.  And I wasn't the fastest on the road.  Since my car is bright red, I try very hard not to be alone at speeds like that so that I'm not noticeable to those guys with the radar guns and speeding tickets in their pockets.  I did not take any photos of speeding along because I did not take my eyes off the road or my hands off the wheel.  I like to drive fast, I'm not nuts.










On Saturday, cda drove us to Oak Park to our writing friend's house where we met about 10 other writing friends and some husbands for a potluck lunch on their deck then most of us trooped to a small theater to see "I & You" a wonderful play that left us all breathless and teary.  Cda didn't tell anyone who the friend was that she was bringing along so it was fun being the surprise.  That is one hell of a wonderful group of women.  I am lucky to call them friends.


 




Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass was a thread that ran through the play and we all agreed that we needed to lay our hands on a copy.  Look what I found when I rummaged around on the bookshelves downstairs.  I already have a copy.  Hooray!


 


On Friday morning before I left for Naperville I went out to fertilize and water the bales and look what had sprung up--three thick asparagus spears.  I picked them and stood them in a glass with water in the fridge.  Guess what veggie I'll be having for supper tomorrow night.  Guess.






It was drizzly and chilly when I got home but I saw that the allium are blooming.  Allium are a not-edible member of the onion family.  I think the flowers look a lot like chive blossoms.


 



And these three pink tulips are really hanging around.  I'm not a pink fan but I have to admit that they are pretty.





That's it for today.  I didn't write one word all weekend and I'm too lazy to dig out a paragraph of old writing.  I'm tired of chilly, misty, rainy days and hope for sunshine tomorrow.  I need to dig out my meat thermometer to check if the bales are warm enough to plant in but until the temps are reliably above 40 at night I don't think I'll chance planting tomatoes, etc. yet.  Maybe I'll put in the carrots and radishes...
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sounds like you had a banner weekend. So glad the weather didn't stop you from enjoying -- and surprising! -- your friends. We had a fun time here with N, M, L and C. Pix on FB for your viewing pleasure. Lucky you dining on fresh, homegrown asparagus. Always my favorite veggie. Glad you're back from your speedy drive.