Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Growing Things!

This morning the landscaper CG stopped over to firm up plans for rebuilding the retaining wall.  He said that they'll start this weekend or next Monday at the latest.  Hallelujah.

Lots of things are growing lately.  The lilacs are in bloom and they smell like heaven.








The apple trees are in full bloom which should last for maybe two more days but petals are already beginning to fall.







                                             A few of the lilies of the valley are beginning to open.






Right next to them are the ferns.  I am enchanted by the curly tops of the fronds as they unfurl.






On the side of the house I spied two poppy buds and I can't wait for the ones in the garden to pop up.






The allium in front are in full bloom and I'm happy to discover that there are some in back too.  (don't remember planting those, hmm)  The flowers are amazingly complex when you look at them up close.






 
I planted the replacement patty pan squash (the first one didn't get watered enough and it croaked, I rearranged the soaker hose) and found a meat thermometer that registers temps below 100F so I can see how the bales are cooking.  They're supposed to be around 80F but are only 60F; that's how cool and cloudy spring has been.  Pitiful.





 



There are a couple onion sprouts and one shallot sprout visible in the second season bales.  I can't wait until there's a sea of green in there.






Mama robin is building her nest on top of the driveway light again.  I knocked it down this morning early but by mid-afternoon she had it built right back up.  I won't fight her, she'll just have to learn to deal with me driving in and out and walking around watering things.  Maybe she'll be too disturbed and give up before laying eggs.



When I started to fix breakfast, I realized that I neglected to make granola yesterday and had only 1 tablespoon left so I whipped up a batch (takes about 40 minutes) first thing this morning and then made another batch this afternoon once I got home with more oats and Rice Krispies.  Which reminds me that I need to put dried fruits on my ALDI shopping list.  They have the most reasonably priced dried fruit.




When I stepped outside to unplug the fountain tonight I saw a strip of bright orange sunset off to the west and managed to capture a bit of it for your enjoyment.


I'm not sure I want to keep putting pieces of Horizon on here.  I'm afraid you'll get bored.  Thoughts?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Are you kidding? Of course we're not bored. I love strolling down memory lane with the ladies chatting on the front porch, etc. Your backyard is a veritable Eden what with everything blooming and growing. I can't wait for the bales to become green but patience is a virtue and we need all the virtue we can get.