Friday, May 10, 2019

Mr. Downy

Woodpecker came to the refreshed suet this morning and had a wonderful time pecking out prime morsels for his morning snack.  He looked all spiffy and neat in his black and white feathers with the swoosh of red across the back of his head.  I'm sure all the potential Mrs. Downy Woodpeckers are giggling and whispering in the trees as he flies by.


At lunchtime this pair of Goldfinches met at the thistle feeder and for once one didn't try to chase the other away.  I imagined them talking about how the weather has been cool and how hard it is to find a suitable mate or nesting place.  Kind of like a couple of guys meeting for small talk at the diner.


Early this afternoon I went to my new dentist's to meet him, have full x-rays taken, and talk about the state of my teeth and gums.  The verdict is "not too bad" which was a relief.  I liked the guy, liked his chair-side manner, and think I'll enjoy being his patient.  He made a small adjustment to my partial, which hasn't fitted correctly since the last dentist tried to make it fit after putting in a crown, and I think he might have done the trick.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the bit of sensitivity in one tooth fades otherwise I think I'll be talking to him about having a new partial made. 



The mailman brought me a Mother's Day gift from DD.  Three pairs of giraffe socks!  I love giraffes, I love DD, and these socks make me smile.  What a lovely gift.  I'll wear some on Sunday, and since there's three different colors I can swap the pairs and not damage my reputation for wearing mismatched socks.  Whew.


My SIL from Ohio called this afternoon and said that she should be going through her closets sorting out clothes she hasn't worn in ages.  I agreed that I should do that too since I'd taking a bunch of my winter clothes out of the closet and flopped them on the guest bed, planning to sort through them before carrying the "keepers" downstairs.  So that's what I did when I got home from the dentist.  This is about half of the shirts on the bed.  Good job, me!



At Friday Night Knitting tonight I finished May Preemie Hat #1.  I think I started the green a little sooner than I should have but I like the way it turned out.  Some little baby will look like a flower.





10 May--Alfred Sisley, Villeneuve La Garenne.  Lucille sat in the shade with her feet just touching the water.  This early in spring the river was icy cold and swollen with snow melt from the mountains far to the west.  Even though her feet were barely submerged she felt the pull of the current.  Cattails and reeds along the riverbank bent to point downstream.  She watched as a small flat boat floated past.  It was in the center of the river moving fast.  It looked like a bundle of cloth lay in the boat but as it moved in the current she saw the top of a head lying on the seat.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to borrow the big van from DS so that I can go to the garden center to get my bales.  I think I'm only going to get four to start with because last year's bales haven't composted away as much as before so I plan to build a fenced area where the third row of bales would be and pack all of last year's bales into it for planting potatoes.  If it doesn't work the way I want it to I can always go get more bales.  It's about time the weather cooperates so I can get out there and get things started.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Don't you love a sweet gift that is just perfect?? Those socks definitely call your name and you'll think of DD every time you pull them on. Colorful birds today and green grass. Bale garden on the way. Winter is definitely over. Done and done!!