Monday, May 20, 2019

Well, Dang It

I think that the fertilizer I've been using to condition the bales is too old.  I sunk a meat thermometer into them this morning.  They're supposed to be heating up.  The book warns not to plant if they're 105 degrees or more.  Well, mine are less than half that.  Soooo, I tossed what I had and made a sojourn this afternoon to Walmart for new high-nitrogen fertilizer.  I'll be putting that on in the morning, probably starting the conditioning process all over, which means I'll be planting in the first week of June.  Since it hasn't been warm enough to plant outside anyway I'm not too frustrated.  That's a lie, of course I am.  Grr.  Stoopid weather.  I'm getting tired of long sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks.



I have hummingbirds!  When I got home yesterday I noticed that the birdie juice was about half gone so I kept my eye on the feeder and was rewarded by first a male, then a female, then two males swooping and flying around the feeder.  I used my phone to take a video but I can't send it to the laptop (the phone says the file's too big) so I posted it on Facebook.



The male oriole stopped today too.  It must have rained a bunch last weekend because the grape jelly was grape soup.  I sloshed most of it out until what was left was mostly jelly.  I'll refill all the feeders tomorrow.







I finished the May Seaman's Cowl tonight.  I had to tink back a round because on Thursday I was binding off and was about a yard of yarn short.  Drat.  I put it in timeout until today.


 

And I finished the half-round and added another on the Fake Isle Hat.  I know it doesn't look like much but learning this technique is very slow going but I'm not ready to give up.  Not yet anyway.

20 May--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview.  Calvin and his crew were packing their tools in his truck as I passed. Calvin reached out and stopped me as I neared him. "I'll see you down at Johnno's, Rosie.  Save the stool next to you for me."  I shook off his hand and kept walking.  When I got into the hotel I pulled out the little bag I kept there, ran a comb through my hair, and checked in the mirror to see that I wasn't filthy before walking down the beach to Johnno's.  My crew had commandeered a table in a corner and hailed me as I walked in as if they hadn't seen me five minutes before.  "We here, Mrs. Rose, we here," Edward called, waving his hand like they weren't right in front of me.  I smiled and went up to the bar to order some conch fritters and plantain chips for the group and a rum punch for me.  Johnno leaned across the bar and said, "You need to forgive my brother, Mrs. Rose. He is feeling very sorry for himself."  I frowned.  "Is this some campaign that Iggy has you all pleading his case? First Edward and now you.  He needs to speak for himself."  Johnno waved his hands, "No, no, Ignatius has said nothing to me. I just see how sad he is and thought maybe you would forgive him for being a foolish man."  I picked up my drink.  "I'll think about it," I said and walked to join the crew.

As you can see, once again I didn't write a prompt but I'm guessing you won't complain about getting another snippet of The Seaview.  Ooh, that fertilizer thing has me really peeved.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Mrs. Rose, you've got to give Iggy at least a hint that he might be forgiven. Maybe a sly little smile or something. Too bad about that fertilizer but it isn't the end of the world. You know the bale garden will come. Isn't patience a requirement for a farmer??? Caught the video of the swooping hummingbirds. Love those little guys.