Sunday, May 27, 2018

Sewing Day

Since it's hotter than the hinges of Hades outside I tucked myself into the sewing area of the basement today and worked on a couple of the Tunics I cut out a while back.  I tried on the turquoise one to discover that the neckline is way too scooped for me so I added a "dickey" cut from an old sheer curtain made from fabric I got from Mother Malcolm (my  MIL) ages and ages ago.  I used the same fabric to add 6" inches to the hem so it kind of looks like I'm wearing a shirt under the tunic.  As soon as I cut out the tunic front using the pattern neckline I knew I'd made a mistake but it was too late so the sheer fabric is a save.  The neckline is so wide that the straps of my bra show but these days that doesn't seem to be a fashion don't.  I'm sure I can find a tank top I can wear under it if it bothers me too much to have my straps showing.








Right now both the lilies of the valley and the lilacs are blooming so I picked some of each this morning when I was out early doing a little yard work before it got too hot and they're in a vase on the kitchen table, the fragrance of the lilacs is winning.








 
I got the other tunic made with the last of the refashioned Bonaire-bought resort wear sewed together.  Since it's supposed to be equally hot and steamy tomorrow I'll consign myself to the cool basement and get it finished.  Naturally I've got my eye on a couple other lengths of fabric to cut out but I promised myself I'd sew up what I cut before cutting more.  AND I need to make another grandkid placemat because one of these days they'll both be here and I've only one placemat made.  That just won't do.

 


The bleeding hearts are at their best right now.  They look especially good with the morning sun shining on them.




May 27--Edward Henry Potthast, A Family Outing.  It was warm and sunny and breezy on the beach.  Tad and Sara had balloons tied to their wrists and they ran up and down the sand laughing as their toys chased them.  Aunt Cele sat on the bench someone had dragged onto the beach from a nearby park with her straw hat squashed down hard against the breeze.  Ella lay on the sand in the striped shade from the park bench reading a book and ignoring "the littles."

After finishing the second charity washcloth I realizeed that I needed to quit procrastinating and cast on the second Montparnasse cardi sleeve before I forget what I did on the first one.  Even though they're not the same color yarn they do need to be the same number of rows the stitches.  Today's Me Made May entry is the turquoise Tunic no. 1.  It's also #8 of my Make Nine in 2018 list.  Getting things done in GB.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You're like Scarlett O'Hara -- making at least part of your dress out of a curtain. Very resourceful. For a minute, I thought the beginning of the sweater sleeve was a huge worm. Glad I was wrong about that. Jeff spotted a big turtle in our backyard yesterday so maybe that's why I had reptiles on my mind.