Monday, May 28, 2018

Hot Holiday

Once again the weather guessers promised us hot and humid today so I was out before 7 o'clock surveying the crops.  We have sprouts!  The nearly invisible green threads in this expanse of potting soil will grow up to be carrots

and the nearly invisible green threads in this soil will be scallions.  Everything seems to be happy in the bales and it's all starting to grow.







All of the alliums in the garden are a-bloom.



 


This afternoon I spied this goldfinch having a snack of thistle seed.  I love the sharp contrast between the yellow and black of their feathers, don't you?





Last week I was digging through my fabric and came across a length of dark brown linen
blend with cream and gold embroidered dots on it, probably a yard of it.  I have a Dress no. 1 out of the same stuff in navy with red and white embroidered dots on it and I really like it so I was hoping I had enough of the brown to make a shell-type shirt.  Nope.  I have enough for the front and half of the back, not a good look I'm thinking, so I went to JoAnn Fabrics looking for something to put with it.  Naturally I found more than that.  The linen blends were on sale so I found a rusty brown that will work well with the dark brown dotted and on the sale racks I found this brown and orange woven stripe with enough for a Dress no. 1 and this red/pink/natural light upholstery fabric that will make a nice Shirt no. 1--but I promise not to cut out any of it until I have the last Dress no. 2 that's already cut sewn up.  And I also promise that the first thing I'll cut and sew after that is another grandkid placemat.  Cross my heart.



This afternoon (after an extemporaneous couch nap) I went down and finished sewing up the last of the refashioned Bonaire resort wear garments into another Tunic no. 1.  I didn't change the neckline of this one and it's just too wide.  I think I'll redraw the neckline using Dress no. 1 as a template because that one covers my bra straps and doesn't slip off my shoulders so easily.  Not that I won't wear the Tunics I've made and enjoy them immensely but I'd like to tweak it just a bit to fit my taste better.  I think that's reasonable.

May 28--Fra Angelico, Virgin Annunciate.  "What are you doing?" Devin asked.  "Praying," Jane said without looking up.  Devin watched in silence for a moment.  "Who to?" he asked.  She glanced up toward Heaven but didn't speak.  "You're praying to the ceiling?"  She sighed.  "No, I'm praying to God."  He was quiet for longer this time.  "Are you asking or thanking?"  She crossed herself and looked at him.  "I was just having a conversation, not asking or thanking, just having a conversation."  She dusted her hands together and stood up.  "Now that I'm done I think I'll go knit."  He watched her leave the room and sat there blinking at her receding back.

I woke up this morning at 5 o'clock and couldn't go back to sleep.  That explains the couch nap this afternoon.  I'll be going to bed just as soon as I'm done here.  Nightie-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay!! The garden is happening. Not that I ever doubted it. Today's offering in the bird department is suitable for framing. All your new fabric would fit right in at our place. Lots of brown in nearly every room down here. I'm referring to it as chocolate or cinnamon -- something delicious. A real contrast to all that red and white in the Bald Eagle house.