Saturday, May 19, 2018

I Planted--and Planted--and Planted--and Planted

Man, I picked out a lot of flowers.  Those 2-12 packs of petunias were what really put me over the top but how could I resist 24 nice petunias for only ten bucks?  I couldn't and that's the truth.  First thing I did was plant the tomato plants, FOUR tomato plants instead of the three we bought because the knitting friend I gave my unused tomato cages to last week sent along a tomato plant as a thank you.  (Durwood's thrilled because he was campaigning to buy more than three tomato plants and I had to plant the fourth one because it would have been churlish to refuse a free tomato plant.  *sigh*)  Then I planted the bell pepper plant and the butternut squash.  I piled up the potting mix, tamped it down, and painstakingly planted the carrots on one bale and the scallions (they were called "bunching onions" on the packet) on the other one.  Those seeds are tiny so it was quite a task.  Tweezers might have been a good idea.  










 


Then I planted flower pots and flower pots and flower pots--and still had plants left.  So I refreshed the soil in the four pots that sit in the privacy fence shelf and planted two plants in each of them--and still had plants left.








 

After a late-ish lunch, I went across town to the stealth greenhouse that has no phone looking for seed potatoes.  I got one red potato and one sweet potato plant and only spent $2.25 more, came home and planted them.





Once the potatoes were in the bale, I got the green rectangular planters all freshened up (although their outsides could use a spray and scrub from the hose but I was running out of steam), planted the last six petunias in them, and sprinkled a packet of zinnia seeds and one of California poppy seeds around them.  Care will have to be taken not to weed out flowers since I haven't got a clue what their sprouts look like.  

Then I got the hose timer hooked up so that twice a day the hose turns itself on and sends water through the soaker hose that snakes through the garden, even between the herb plants and the timber that edges the garden, so I don't have to remember to go out there to water everything twice a day.  Having it water on schedule uses more water than if I had to rely on my slide-area of a memory but the plants do so much better with regular watering.  (Imagine that!)



As I was putting away my tools I caught sight of the fountain and thought, what the hell, so I carried it outside, cleaned it off a bit, filled it up, and got it running.  I'd meant to do that tomorrow but as long as I was wet and dirty I thought I might as well get a little wetter and dirtier and get it all done today.



 
I finished the mitered square dishcloth that I started at Thursday night's Bay Lakes Knitting Guild meeting at Friday Night Knitting last night.  I've got enough yarn to knit another charity cloth so I'll cast that one on later.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe tomorrow I'll take my knitting outside and enjoy the flowers and the garden and the trickling fountain, if it's nice out and doesn't rain or snow.

May 19--Snake-shaped Necklace.  Leah opened her eyes a slit.  A sound had woken her.  She didn't change position, she looked through her lashes.  It was dim in the room so dawn had to just about to break and she could see the shape of the dresser and the outline of the courtyard window.  The sound came again, a slither, like a shoe sliding on the wooden floor.

No Me-Made-May entry today since the only thing I made myself today was dirty.  Maybe tomorrow I'll dress in clothes that are worthy of photography.  All that fresh air and planting has made me one tired old bag.  *yawn*  Nighty-night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

And on the seventh day She rested!!! Whew!! What a lot you accomplished in one day. Love all your very pretty pots now sporting so many flowers. Your yard is going to be a showplace pretty soon. But today - rest!!!