Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Bales of Fun

Yesterday I got the first four bales in place on their hardware cloth beds and Durwood and I continued our conversation of what to plant.  The upshot is that on my way home from my haircut today I swung by Stein's and brought home the last 2 big straw bales they had.  Luckily I bought six of the 8' tall t-stakes and DS said he could come over tomorrow to pound them in for me. The weather guessers say it's supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow.  I'm hoping for a lull.  I know that this view is the same as yesterday, just from another angle, but I'm excited about it.


A few years ago a sewing blogger started a "Me Made May" challenge to get people to wear things they've made every day in May and post pictures on Instragram.  Since I've been sewing some clothes I thought I'd play along this year.  To that end I bought a selfie stick today since Durwood's hands shake too much for him to be able to take a non-blurry smartphone pic (darned prednisone that helps his breathing but gives him the shakes) and I'm tired of having the shower curtain as the backdrop of my selfies when I use the bathroom mirror.  I found one at Meijer, it was on sale, and it's red--and I even figured out how to make it work.  The print on the one page "instruction manual" is so tiny I can barely read it even with my bifocals but I squinted and managed.




Yesterday I wore the orange tropical print Dress No. 1, pattern from 100 Acts of Sewing with an old white t-shirt and a 10 year old pair of khaki capris.  The dress was one of the first ones I made and even though the color's kind of fading I really like it.  Today I wore the latest Tunic No. 1 I've sewn up.  It's the cow fabric one and I dug out the pair of Pants No. 1 I made last year in black linen to wear with the top.  No one but me can tell but I made my socks too.  They're some of the Turkish Bed Socks (kind of like homemade Peds) that I made six of out of a black-to-white-to-black sock blank.  I started those socks when I was laid up with my broken ankle two years ago and think I might dig out another sock blank and make some more.  They're comfy and quick to knit.




This evening we went over to DS & DIL1's church for their final monthly community supper for the season.  Everyone is welcome and they ask for a $3/pp donation.  (Durwood and I added $3 + $3 and came up with $10.  It's a form of new math.)  They had baked ziti, tossed salad, absolutely fantastic spinach rolls with herb butter, and bars and cookies for dessert.  We are both sorry that we didn't know about this when they started last fall but you can be sure that we'll be there when they start up again.  It was such a treat to get to spend an hour or so with them.  Lots of grandkid hugs were stored up for the lean times.

I managed to add a couple rounds of stripes to the Packer Hat but most of my limited free time today was spent getting the May knitting guild newsletter together.  It's about half done and my calendar is nearly empty tomorrow.  What, me worry?  Nah.


May 2--William-Adolphe Bouguereau, The Nut Gatherers.  They couldn't have been more different.  Joan was tall with long legs, had spidery-long fingers and toes, blue eyes, and strawberry-blond hair.  Sue had dark brown hair and even darker brown eyes, and everything about her was small except her determination.  She was daring, always the first one to climb a tree or inch across a stream balanced on a rotten plank.  The two girls were a familiar sight around the village.  "Where you see one, the other is sure to be nearby," people said.

And that's when my brain shut off and my eyes slammed shut.  Speaking of eyes slamming shut, mine are going down for the count.  Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That selfie stick looks lethal but I'm glad you have it and could figure out how to make it work. Even though you're headless in the cow print tunic! But maybe that was deliberate. The church supper sounds divine and grandkids hugs are the icing on the cake.