Friday, May 25, 2018

A New Family Member

Well, not exactly a new family member but it cost a whole lot more than either of our kids did.  We got a new furnace yesterday.  Not the most expensive one but not the cheapest one either.  This one has a 12 year warranty and that was irresistible, especially since keeping the old one would have filled our little abode with noxious amounts of carbon monoxide, possibly even lethal amounts.  So here's a picture of our new furnace.  It's a Daikin.  We have a new thermostat too and it's only taken me 24 hours to figure out how to program the schedule so it keeps us cool all day and night.  I think that isn't a bad learning curve.


Before de-crapifying the stairs, the path to and the area around the furnace so the installers could manhandle the old furnace out and the new furnace in I spent some time sewing together this Tunic no. 1 out of fabric re-purposed from another Bonaire-bought resort wear dress that I think I wore once.  It still needs a pocket and I resurrected some old sheers that I made a couple centuries ago out of fabric from Mother Malcolm, a strip of which I'm planning to attach to the hem, front and back, like I'm wearing a split-hem shirt underneath and I'll use the same sheer fabric to fill in the too-low scooped neckline.  I'm planning to do that tomorrow.  I'm excited and hope it'll look as good as I think it will.



This female hummingbird came back a bunch of times this morning but only once landed on the oriole feeder long enough for me to take its picture.  We just love seeing them.  Every time one comes for a visit is like the first time ever.  We're such dorks.


Tonight at Friday Night Knitting I finished the Into the Wind dishcloth with the yarn from the knitting guild.  I still have a little bit left and think I might be able to eke a small cloth out of it or LB and I can combine our yarns since they've got the same colors and make one.  We'll see.

May 25--Robert Delaunay, Man with a Tulip (Portrait of Jean Metzinger).  He looks like Charlie Chaplin in color or maybe Charlie Chaplin looked like him.  There is the same wistful quality around the eyes and his mouth, their mouths hover between smiling and crying.  The slope of Jean's shoulder sags under the weight of the fully open tulip as if the enormous spring beauty is too much for his small frame.

Hey, it's almost midnight.  Good thing it's a holiday weekend.  I have big plans.  I'm going to sew, knit, and work on imitating a slug.  We'll see how that goes.
--Barbara

No comments: