Thursday, May 3, 2018

Done!

All ten pages of the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild newsletter is done and emailed out to the membership.  When I tried to print out my copy both ink cartridges ran out about 3 pages from the end.  *sigh*  Guess we know where I'm going to be shopping tomorrow--at the ink store.  I'm getting XL cartridges this time.  And maybe two of each.


DS stopped over around lunchtime today and used his height and muscles to pound in the six stakes that will hold this summer's straw bales in place.  This weekend I'll get three 2 x 4s cut to length, saw slits in either end and drill holes so I can wire them into place to hold the tops of the stakes steady.  That way in future years I can just rake out the old composted bales and lever fresh ones in place.  I'll get out the fertilizer tomorrow and start the conditioning so planting can commence in a couple weeks.  That'll give me time to get some wire and string it between the stakes to make trellises for the tomato plants to get fastened to.



When we were out pounding in stakes I saw that the little blue squills that I got ages and ages ago from GramMary, my sister-in-law's mom, are blooming.  She gave me a little pot of them that I planted under the lilac bush and they've been slowly making more of themselves every year.


Also--forsythia!  I've been watching and a few of the branches near the house have flowers on them.  Ah, now it really seems like spring.





 
Today's sky photo is courtesy of Durwood.  I was broiling some chicken for supper that got kind of smoky so he pulled a chair to the patio door to breathe clearer air and asked for the camera, liking the way the bare branches of the apple tree looked against the cloudy sky.  BTW, the Asian Chicken with Broccoli and Carrots was excellent but the next time I make it I'll grill the meat outside and save the smoke alarm battery.

May 3--Hans Hilsoe,  An Interior.  Edith was right behind the door that stood ajar.  He knew that for a fact.  She was in the morning room every day at the same time.  He knew she would be sitting on that green velvet chair with the carved arms and crest that always dug into him right between his shoulders.  Her Siamese cat, Lady Chiang, would be curled up in her lap and if he went into the room it would lift its head and glare at him with its icy blue eyes.  That cat hated him.  The feeling was mutual.

Oh, I almost forgot.  Today's Me-Made-May Day 3 clothes are a striped knit shirt from a Simplicity pattern and a black denim Dress No. 2 from 100 Acts of Sewing with some Walmart leggings.  I'll warn you right now, most of the clothes I'll be wearing this month will be made from 100 Acts of Sewing patterns.  I love them, they're comfy, easy to make, and they fit me.  What's not to love?

I'm turning in.  I have a pain between my shoulder blades from hunching over this laptop for the last 2 days.  I'm done.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The "pre" garden looks very well organized and ready for planting. Thanks DS. So glad we'll get to actually see you every day this month sporting something clever you've made. Good for the selfie stick!!