Friday, May 4, 2018

May the Fourth Be With You

Happy Star Wars Day!  I confess I haven't seen any Star Wars movies after the three original films but I still love them.

We were disappointed to see rain when we got up this morning.  I had big plans for yard work today and couldn't see myself out there in the rain.  But look how green the grass is.  I'm so glad to see that instead of unrelenting white.


Happily it slacked off about mid-morning so that my assistant and I could go out to fill birdfeeders, water in the first application of fertilizer on the straw bales, and I raked up wet leaves while he looked for worms and spiders and played with any sticks he could find.



Today's Me-Made-May Day #4 outfit was another Dress No. 1, this time in navy embroidered linen blend and a pair of modified (because I was short of fabric) Pants No. 1 in seersucker.  The pants seem a little wide in the leg for me so I'm thinking I'll dig out some bottom-weight fabric and try the next size down with a little modification of the legs.  See the reason I ran out of fabric for these pants is that I'd cut out a first pair from this fabric in the size that seemed right for my measurements, sewed them together, and they were too tight.  Now that I've lost 30# they fit, so I'll hem them and put in the waistband elastic this weekend to see if I need to taper in the legs a bit on the next pair or if they're okay.

May 4--Claude Monet, The Artist's Garden at Giverny.  The irises were blooming.  Great swaths of them flowed like rivers across the spring green lawn, snaked around the trees in their path, and disappeared over the hill toward the pond.  Archie, the gardener, walked along morning and evening dead-heading them, a small grimace crossed his face every time he plucked a spent bloom and dropped it into his basket.  Emma liked the fuzzy yellow throat of the irises, like the way ants and bees bustled up to each flower to gather pollen and move on as if each of them had a daily quota to meet.

Days like today make me glad that I keep "play" clothes here for boys who find the perfect puddle.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love the colors in today's photo offerings -- the green grass, your bright outfit, OJ's very colorful bottom -- even the straw bales. Definitely Spring-y looking. All set for company here this weekend. NC cousins coming down for a couple of days.