Friday, May 18, 2018

Time to Plant--and Plant--and Plant

Durwood and I went shopping today.  He'd read the ShopKo ad in yesterday's paper and they had veggie plants and flower plants for a lot less than we usually pay so we decided to shop the local/neighborhood store and hit the jackpot.  I got a whole whack of red flowers in many shapes to hopefully lure the hummingbirds to the feeder.  I even lucked out in that Home Depot's deal of the day was 2-12 plant flats of petunias or other annuals for $10.  Half-price!  Score!




We found all of the veggies and herbs on our list, except for butternut squash which I found and bought at a parking lot greenhouse on the way home.  Tomorrow there'll be a lot of planting around here.






This morning the apple tree played host to a pair of cardinals.  The Mr. sat up in the tree with his chest puffed out and his crest erect singing his heart out while the Mrs. pecked through the cracked corn and sunflower seeds under the feeder.  I didn't manage to get her picture but I did capture his when he came down onto the platform feeder.  The apple blossoms are all open today, not nearly as many as there used to be before the Two Stooges who built the meandering fence whacked off branches and killed the crown of the tree.







Last night at the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild meeting we each reached blindly into a bag for a skein of dishcloth cotton and chose a free pattern and got to knitting.  Of course, like an idiot I chose a pattern that started "cast on 60 stitches" instead of one that said "cast on 33 stitches" so this is only as far as I got.  (It doesn't help that I talk a lot which slows down my knitting.)  Eight of the knitters got a dishcloth finished, those were left on the food pantry table in the hall with an accompanying bottle of dish soap.  I'll finish this cloth and take it to next month's meeting.  And the next time I'll think twice and check the cast on stitch number when I want a finished object quickly.  Tsk.

 
After the meeting I stopped at the Pick 'N Save for an orange so I could put half of it into this oriole feeder.  Mr. & Mrs. Boss gave this feeder to me for Christmas long ago and I just love it.  The orioles mostly feed at the nectar feeder on the crook in the yard but the finches love the grape jelly and I just love looking at it so I put it out every year.


May 18--Georges Barbier, Persia.  The pages of the old leather-bound volume reminded her of drawings her grandmother had done in the 1920s.  The ladies were impossibly tall and slender and the men were so sharply angular that they looked like they would cut you if you touched them.



And that's as far as I got before my eyelids slammed shut and stayed that way.  Today's Me Made May entry is my favorite eye-popping bright dress that I made with the fabric from my friend BD's late mom's stash.  I love it, it's absolutely the perfect dress when I want to feel happy.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You did indeed score in the plant department. Wish now I'd run down to our Home Depot to cash in too. And your "Happy" outfit made not only you happy, it made me happy too! No way not to be when you're sporting that cute outfit.