Thursday, May 31, 2018

If I Were A Drinking Woman...

I'd have bought a bottle of this spiced rum today at Meijer.  It's sea monster rum!  Kraken rum.  Do you think it's made with real sea monsters?  Nah.  I just love labels on beer and wine bottles.  I love how so many of them are little pieces of art, so clever and creative.  That's why I like stamps too.


This morning when I went out to fill the birdbath and try leveling the fountain (once I realized that the dripping water was coming from the lip of the saucer and running back to the center because the patio isn't level I went downstairs to dig a short length of 1/4' lath out of the scrap box which was just right for keeping the water in the fountain and not dripping on the patio) I saw how lush and lime green the ferns are.  These ferns are the kind that spread so eventually this whole bed will be one big sea of fronds.  Cool.


We had an oxygen tank valve malfunction (fixed now) so we had to cancel an appointment this afternoon which gave me time to go out and put chicken wire fences around the blueberries and the bales with carrots and scallions since the bunnies are munching the blueberry leaves and branches and the chipmunks are uprooting the onions and carrots.  I even dug a slit around the blueberries and used a trowel to sink the wire into the ground a bit.  Maybe that'll help.  The fences aren't decorative, in fact they're kind of hard to see, but hopefully they'll protect my crops from rodent depredation.


I knew I needed to thaw out some meat for tonight's supper and hoped to be able to make something that'd carry over at least one more meal.  Well, I found some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the freezer and a WW recipe for Honey-Ginger Chicken Thighs that I marinated all day and then threaded onto skewers to bake in the oven daubing the meat with the cooked marinade.  The recipe made 6 skewers, one per serving, so we've got two more evening's meals.  Along with the meat I fixed rice and fresh broccoli.  Mmm.


And because I didn't sew anything today or find something new that's blooming (although I probably should have checked the iris on the west side of the house) I thought I'd bore you with a photo of the baby sinkhole I finally got around to filling with soil and seeding yesterday.  Fingers crossed that pretty soon there'll be little green shoots all over this expanse of black/brown.

I didn't write the prompt last night.  It was a picture of a dress from the 1750s and for the life of me I couldn't rustle up an idea about it so I didn't.  And it occurred to me that I'm overdue writing up and sending out the knitting guild newsletter.  Guess we know what I'll be doing this weekend.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That Kraken rum is a BIG favorite with our nephew/niece over in Orlando. They are the couple who dive somewhere in the Caribbean who've met some of your GB divers in the past. Must be something about that label. Fingers crossed the chicken wire works. I want that garden of yours to thrive.