Saturday, May 26, 2018

Bird!

There I was sitting at the table minding my business eating a grilled cheese for lunch when something told me to look out the window and there was an oriole, the first one I've seen this year, on the crook closest to the patio doors.  It flew over to the crook with the peanut wreath, looked at the oriole nectar feeder, and went up to the fancy orange and grape jelly oriole feeder by the retaining wall.  It was lovely to see.




I had big plans to sew today but I stayed up too late last night and got up too early (damned bladder) this morning so I laundered the fabric I want to sew and cut this weekend and hung it out on the clothesline to dry in the sun.  All of it had spent the last 10 years or so in bins and smelled musty so a wash in unscented detergent and some time in the sunshine and warm breeze did wonders for the stuff.  Instead of sewing I finished knitting the Two-stripe Packer Hat for OJ.  It's an easy pattern, I'm a big fan of one row stripes and I really like the star on the crown of the hat.  Fingers crossed that this hat fits OJ's gigantic head...






 

When I went out to unplug the fountain I looked straight out north-ish to see clouds tinted orange above the dark gray ones that are the edge of rainstorms farther north.  Naturally they were hiding shyly behind the apple tree but I was surprised to see sunset colors 90 degrees from where I usually see them.

May 26--Egyptian, Roman Period, Mummy Portrait of a Woman.  She stared at him with her steady brown eyes.  He felt her measuring him, calculating his worth even though this was their first meeting.  She wore jewels he could never afford to give her making him feel somehow less of a man.  He had a good job, came from a respectable family, but he knew he would never meet her expectations.  The sound of a shoe scraping on the gallery floor made him step back from the scrap of painted and gilded linen.  It would be embarrassing to be seen mooning over a painting of a woman who had been dead for over two thousand years.


I've been lax in taking and posting Me-Made-May things this week.  Today's entry is the first Dress no. 1 I made and the pair of not-quite-long-enough capri leggings I made to go with them.  I used an old old pattern for the leggings.  They're a couple inches too short but they sure are comfy to wear.  

Since I stayed up too late, after midnight (I haven't done that in ages), I'm hurrying to get this posted and get to bed.  I'm tired and my eyelids keep slamming shut.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, you definitely stayed up too late but (selfishly) glad you did. The picture of the oriole was worth it. So very pretty. Happy you glanced up just in time to capture it on film for us to share. Cute Packer color hat for OJ. Hope it fits.