Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Fronding Galore

The ferns are unfurling their fronds like mad.  I've been watching the one closest to the patio door and completely missed these other ones at the far end of the planting bed.  I have to dig out my old garden notebook to find out what kind of ferns they are but I just love the shape of the fronds as they unfurl.


This afternoon I took the next baby step toward getting the straw bale garden planted.  Yesterday I lay the soaker hose across the blueberry bushes, made wire pins to stick into the ground and hold it in place, and covered the whole bed with pine bark mulch.  That's the dark swath in the foreground.  This afternoon I laid the soaker hose across the bales, up and down from the ground between the rows, pinning it into place with little wire "U"s that I made with the trellis wire, and being absolutely thrilled that there was enough hose left to tuck along the landscape timber so the herbs that I'll plant along there will get watered too.  On Friday we plan a trip to Stein's for the plants and a bag of soil so I can plant the carrot and green onion seeds.  I still have to find out if they have seed potatoes or if I'm making a pilgrimage ALL the way across town (5 miles) to the nursery with no phone for them.
 

Speaking of the blueberries, I took a real close look at them today and look what I found.  A sprout!  All of the plants have swollen buds and some branches starting to look green but this one had leaves and everything.  Go, blueberries, go. 




Today's Me Made May entry was the refashioned Shirt No. 1 that used the old Bonaire-bought caftan-ish top I hardly wore.  I had a brainstorm this morning when I got dressed and put it on with the lizards in front instead of the boob targets.  It worked!  Fortunately I hadn't scooped the neckline enough to make a huge difference.  I'm so glad.  I'd have worn it with the targets in front but would have been self-conscious.

 

I want yarn and fabric in the colors of this tulip.  I know I'll never find it but I want it.


I didn't write last night.  I was too tired and just flopped into bed.  Didn't write, didn't meditate, didn't do my ankle exercises.  I can't remember the last time I didn't do any of that stuff.  And lightning didn't strike me dead.  I'm going to bed just as soon as I post this.  I have got to get out of the habit of watching TV until after 9 o'clock and then taking until after 11 o'clock to write this blog post.  
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Old habits die hard. But don't stop blogging!! Your straw bale garden this year is a real work of art. Can't wait to see it all flourishing with whatever you plant out there. Hope you find the seedling potatoes. I remember digging for potatoes in daddy's garden many years go. It was like finding buried treasure.