Saturday, February 17, 2018

Shopping & Getaway

 


Yesterday I went to Meijer for some last minute getaway food and had to cross the store to pick up a toothbrush.  I had to walk past all the "Clearance" racks (tsk, tsk, what a pity) and look at what I found.  Leggings.  On sale.  None of them were more than $5 a pair, the tan pair has a gold sheen, and the lizard print pair was $2.50  I am especially in love with the pair I'm wearing; they're fleecy and soft and warm.  The best thing aside from the prices is that each pair is a size smaller than I'd have had to buy last fall.  Ahh.  So satisfying.  Makes all the planning and cooking and counting worthwhile.








We stayed at the restaurant visiting with our friends until 7:30 and didn't arrive here, 55 miles later, until nearly 9 o'clock last night and it took me a good hour to get all of our stuff into the room and all of the food put away.  I was too pooped to blog last night but I did manage to do a prompt write before turning off the light.  Here's the view from our tiny porch this morning.  It's cold and windy so I won't be sitting out there with my coffee.  However I did find a nice spot to do my morning yoga.  One of my favorite features of the place is the gas fireplace that's on a timer like a motel bathroom heat lamp.  It makes it so cozy.




 

I unwrapped my Blind Date library book last night and it's a collection of Mary Higgins Clark's short stories.  I like short stories; I don't read them often enough.  Kurt Vonnegut's are my favorites but these are good, like popcorn for a lazy weekend read.

This morning I met a friend at the resale shop up the road a couple miles and Hit. The. Jackpot.  Everything in the store was 20% off, all jewelry was 50% off, as was anything with a pink tag.  I found some plastic plates that LC and OJ will like eating from, some remnants of fabric I like the colors and weight of, some earrings, a red and gray "fitness" shirt that's a great layer for snowshoeing, and (the big score) an Irish wool sweater in my size marked $15 so I paid $12.  The woman who bagged my purchases held up the sweater and said, "You're not going to make mittens out of this, are you?"  Some people buy wool sweaters at thrift shops, felt them in the washer, and then cut them up to make super-warm mittens.  Also some people buy nice wool sweaters and unravel them to reuse the yarn.  I assured her that I had no intention of doing anything other than wear the sweater and love it just a it is.



February 17--Gianni Versace, Micro Minidress.  Glenna watched the young woman approach.  Part of her wanted to let out a laugh at the girl's outrageous outfit and part of her wanted to be the one wearing it.  The breastplates (there was on other word for them) were heavily stiffened pentagonal cones of red silk taffeta embroidered with beaded rays out from the center peak.  The rest of the bodice was made of rows of beads around a center medallion of more beads.  The skirt, what there was of  it, was ruched and swagged velvet printed with checks, plaids, and other geometrics.  The dress made a statement.  It said, "Look at me."  It said, "I'm young and thin and I have great legs."  It also said, "I have confidence to burn."  Glenna did not.

My plan for tomorrow is not to get dressed much or to go anywhere.  I just want to sit here and knit and watch the Olympics.  We'll see how that works.  You know how antsy I get.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your getaway is sounding like a perfect outing -- on all fronts!! Great bargains even before you got there (love all those tights -- especially the ones you were wearing) and then the finds at the thrift store. Score!!! Hope you're relaxing all day today and enjoying your cozy spot.