Thursday, February 8, 2018

Flashback

No, I didn't re-injure my ankle.  I went to the chiropractor this morning, got everything back in order, then Durwood and I spent a long time in Walmart picking out a new microwave (thank god!) and groceries so we can pre-cook our suppers for our winter getaway Feb. 16-20.  We're making baked ziti and chicken cacciatore, WW recipes of course, so we had to lay in a few special ingredients.  Anyway, by the time we got home my ankle was really aching so I spent the afternoon and evening icing it for 20 minutes every hour and it feels a lot better.  Hoisting my leg up on the couch and wrapping it in an ice pack and towel brought back memories of 2016 and being stuck there for so many hours, days, weeks, months with my best friends, the ice packs.  I didn't snowshoe today and won't tomorrow either.  I'm not making any promises about Saturday, though, because they're talking about it warming up next week which will make the snow go away.  Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine I'd end up wanting snow to stay.  But I do, at least for another month anyway.  Not forever, never forever.  Did I tell you that I heard an owl in the park yesterday?  I did, just one hoot, and I want to go back to hear it again.  I know I could just take a walk in the park but where's the fun in that?  Any fool can take a walk...  but not every fat and stubborn 66-year-old-broad can snowshoe.  I can and will.  I'll just keep my ice pack handy.  It's a good excuse to sit on the couch and knit.


Speaking of sitting on the couch knitting I cast on the second of LC's pink wool mittens and look how far I got.  Through the cuff, up the hand increasing for the thumb gusset, and a couple rounds into the hand.  Once again I learn that if I focus on one project at a time, things get finished.






Look at our new microwave.  Isn't it pretty?  It's a good thing I wrote down the
measurements of the last one and Durwood measured the space because he was (teasingly) trying to convince me that we needed the biggest, most expensive microwave Walmart had.  We do not need a family-size microwave that does all sorts of fancy things to reheat coffee, soup, and leftovers, oh, and steam vegetables in.  It was $99.  Remember the olden days when microwaves were a few hundred bucks?  Like $500 bucks?  This one has 1100 watts, the old ones had barely half that, although I did like the one (the first one, maybe?) that had a shelf in it and a built-in temperature probe.  Ah well, at least I can put the old clunker back into the basement for the next microwave emergency.


Didn't write the prompt last night.  Once again I stayed up way too late, did my ankle stretches and flexes, and turned out the light.  As soon as this is posted I'm going to turn in so there'll be writing, fiction writing, for tomorrow's post.  Stay warm.  And I am very glad that the snowstorm barrelling across the Great Plains is aiming at Chicago and not us.  I want snow to snowshoe in, not piles of it to have to shovel off the driveway.  Tsk, I have my limits.  Oh, here's this morning's sun peeking over the fence.  Pretty, right?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

One step - one snowshoe step, that is - at a time. Glad you're resting a bit and getting some knitting done at the same time. But you can relax on the couch and watch the Olympics if all else fails. Somehow I don't think you'll be doing that. Nice microwave, BTW.