Monday, February 5, 2018

Out To Lunch

Today I met six of my 8th grade graduating classmates from St. Agnes school (Class of '65--good lord, that long ago?) for lunch at a bar/restaurant in DePere.  I wasn't sure how that'd go since I only knew them for a couple years (we moved here the summer before 6th grade) before we all kind of split up--some going to the Catholic girls' or boys' high schools and the rest of us poor pagans going to the public school.  One of today's attendees went to Southwest with me so we had some common ground when everyone else got to talking about how mean the priest teachers were in those days.  The group meets on the first Monday of the month.  I'll go back.

After lunch I took my list to Walmart and dodged Wal-Martians while filling my cart, then ducked into Aldi for blueberries, bell peppers, and 1 WW point each chicken breakfast sausages.  I got some reduced fat croissant roll dough last week and rolled up a sausage in each one for a quick easy breakfast that doesn't dirty a bowl and spoon.  Pretty yummy.  I need to make another batch of breakfast burritos for Durwood this week and think I might try working up some WW-y ones for me now that eggs are 0 points.  I'd like to find some low-fat cheddar but it might be against Wisconsin state laws to have less than full-fat cheese on sale.  






Lala's Shapka hat is coming along, two more repeats of the pattern (4 rows plain, then 2 rows of fuzzy) before starting the decreases.  I finally put LC's mitten thumb stitches on waste yarn and got going on the hand part.  I keep forgetting how small her hands are and how quickly I could get these done if I didn't keep getting distracted by shiny or fuzzy things.









Or new used WW cookbooks.  The last one I'm ordering (for a while) arrived today.  Well, I don't plan to order more... but you never know when some temptress of a cookbook will sashay by.  It's from a previous version of the plan so I'll have to enter the recipes I want to make into the "create" function of the online site but then none of the recipes in the newest cookbooks are in there and two of them that I've entered have come up with fewer points than listed in the book.  *shrugs*


 
Look at today's sunset.  I only wish that the camera would capture the way the sky really looks when I stand on the porch, shivering, to drink in the beauty of the light.


February 5--Paul Cezanne, Four Peaches on a Plate.  Their perfume, sweet and heady like the best honey, reached across the room to where Elaine sat in the sunny window.  It was the dead of winter and Paul had brought her four peaches that had no business being ripe and fragrant in Wisconsin in February.  When she had asked where he got them he was evasive, saying he knew she would like them so he got them for her.  She tried to remember where Paul was working that day but couldn't.  For some time it had been difficult for her to keep things from slipping through what seemed to be widening cracks in her memory.  Maybe a cup of tea and one of those peaches would help her remember where Paul was.

I didn't get out on the snowshoes today, it was just too cold, barely made it out of the single digits with a nice, sharp wind, so once I came in from lunch and shopping I stayed in.  Plus my ankle's kind of achy today.  Maybe tomorrow.  When I mentioned going snowshoeing one of the guys at lunch today said, "Man, you sure do a lot."  Am I supposed to be sitting around more or are they all being slugs?  I can't stand sitting around all the time.  It makes me ache... besides it's boring.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are certainly not boring. Always something interesting going on with you -- that we can enjoy reading about while we're in the comfort of our jammies each morning. Yes, it must be grade school reunion time. Glad you got together with your classmates. It was fun to see Patty again. It's been ten years since last time.