Friday, February 23, 2018

Yarn!

This post is going to be all about yarn so if you're not interested in yarn, you may be excused.

I called MW to say that I'd be late to Friday Night Knitting because, well, because I was busy this afternoon with this and that and the other thing and he said that DD (not our daughter) wasn't able to make it but he had the yarn.  I vaguely remembered him saying that she'd become more and more allergic to wool so she was bringing a bunch of her stash to give away to the knitters and then what we didn't want to donate.  So I made sure to tuck a reusable shopping bag into my knitting basket when I went into Goodwill.  (we knit in their Community Room, it's free and well lit)

Well, I told myself that I was going to exercise restraint and I did, to a point.  I couldn't resist the lure of those six twisted skeins in the bottom row, they are bulky weight (wool, alpaca, & acrylic) and I think they'll make something lovely.  Maybe two or three somethings.  Three multicolored balls in the upper left are the same color even though the red one looks like it's adopted, the fourth one is a different color of the same yarn, and the wound over skein of yellow and orange is some kind of cotton--I think, I'll light a scrap of it on fire to see how it burns to see what fibers are in it.  The white ones on the right are Wool Ease which is great for kid mittens and Seaman's cowls, MW made me (MADE me, really) take the creamy white one on the left because it didn't go with any of the other skeins in the bags and I took the Wool Ease.

In other yarn news, I finished knitting my sweater fitting class swatch.  I used size 9 needles for half of the swatch and size 10 for the other half.  I'm going to wash and block the swatch before I make the final decision but I think the 10s will win, I like the feel of that fabric.


And after the swatch was finished I added a few rows, measured, will add about two more rounds, and then it'll be time to put the toe on that Crazy Z Reds Campfire sock.  I can't believe how long I've been futzing around with that sock.  Knitting on it a bit, putting it aside, knitting, ignoring... pitiful.  Today I decided that it's time that sock was finished.  I should try it on before committing to the toe, just in case my measuring is faulty.  For some reason I didn't make note of how long to make the foot when I use this particular heel and I don't want to make it too short.  That would be bad.


February 23--Francois Nicolas Martinet, Parrot.  If it wasn't for the red feathers on its belly and its bright yellow eye, the green parrot...

And that's how much my new med was kicking my butt the last few nights.  I couldn't even stay awake to write an entire sentence.  I took a half-dose for 3 days, felt queasy, jittery, teary, and utterly dreadful for those three days, decided not to take a pill on Thursday, and finally started to feel good about midday today.  Not the medicine for me.  I've an appointment on Monday to go in to discuss alternatives.  May I just say that it totally sucks to be as sensitive to meds as I am.  Good night.
--Barbara

No comments: