Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I Tried To Sit Still

Really, I did... actually, no I didn't.  I happily wrote down a 6-stop list of errands and got going around mid-morning.  It was sunny but not as warm as yesterday (the patio glacier is still melting) but that didn't matter.  I was out and about, footloose and fancy free.  My first stop was Office Depot for printer ink.  Boring but necessary.

Next I zoomed into Goodwill for some ankle socks for Durwood who complained that his feet get cold at night.  I nabbed a 6-pack of them and went back to the front to check out.  On the way I walked past the racks of clearance coats and this one reached out and grabbed me.  It's a brown maxi coat with a winter lining that is removable--and it was marked $5.99.  I tried it on, it fit, it fell to my shoe tops, and I had to have it.  I'm going to check with the neighborhood dry cleaners to see if they still have Senior Citizen Discount day (I'm not too proud) and get it cleaned.  I have a fantasy of me striding along with my coat tails flying but in my fantasy I'm about 4" taller.  Oh well, it's how I feel, right?

Then I went to Home Depot for a new sink stopper, some chair slider feet, and a new floor vent for the dinette.  See the top of the old one has broken away from the part that goes in the floor and I'm just waiting for OJ to discover that's a place to drop things so a new one had to be gotten and installed.  Done and done--and I didn't buy any spring bulbs or new tools.  *pats self on back*

I dodged into the local library to return a book, a DVD, and a book on CDs and didn't check out anything else.

My next stop was the most dangerous--JoAnn Fabrics.  It was Senior Citizen day which meant 20% off your entire purchase if you're over 55 years old.  I'm more than 10 years over that limit so I was good.  First I looked at the linen and linen-look fabrics but all the ones I liked I already have.  In fact, I was wearing a dress made out of one of them so I cruised the "discount dot" shelves and found 4 that I liked.  There wasn't enough of the lycra or the pretty cotton print to make leggings or a dress or even a shirt, the Air Force blue cotton with the lime green and lilac bugs on it (it's cuter than it sounds) attracts me but I just can't see what I'd make with it.  The last bolt was a shiny polyester print that had enough for a Dress no. 1 so that's the only one I bought.  I got out of there for under $20.  Whew.

My final stop was Fresh Thyme market which had wild caught ocean perch fillets and wild caught tuna for very reasonable prices.  Then I searched out the dried fruits and finally found a bag of mission figs, the black kind that DS used to love as a boy.  I gave OJ a prune a couple weeks ago and then spent the rest of the day changing poopy diapers.  Not being a slow learner I figured that he could have a fig instead if I could only find them.  Today I did.



Tonight we had cauliflower "mashed potatoes", fresh asparagus (thanks for the tip, MW!), and Chicken Breast Pierre from last weekend's cooking frenzy.  An excellent repast.  Tomorrow I'll fix one of the packages of ocean perch.  I love Lent because fish is on sale all the time and I can buy the good stuff on my budget.

February 28--Odilon Redon, Wildflowers in a Long Neck Vase.  Jane heard the buzz and looked around to see a bumble bee tangled in the spray of baby's breath that Marta had stuck into the bouquet on the table.  The front doors of the study were open and sunlight flooded in.  It puddled on the dark oak floor like molten gold.

Tomorrow's March 1 already.  I mean, I see that it's staying light longer and the sun is stronger, melting the snow and ice but, geez, March already.  I finished the last February Preemie hat tonight before coming in here so my March Preemie hat knitting starts clean.  Silly of me but it seemed necessary to finish this little hat made from scraps.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That coat looks very important. No one will cross you when you're wearing it. I love shopping at Goodwill too. When the one near us was washed out by Hurricane Irma, it was very sad. Happily it's semi-returned (in a smaller venue) so I can still bargain-hunt close to home.