Thursday, February 1, 2018

Didn't Check Off All My To-Do List

I had high hopes for today.  I always have high hopes for accomplishing lots more than I can realistically do but as the poets say, hope springs eternal.  First thing this morning I showered, got dressed (in many layers because it was 4 degrees at 7:00 when I went out to take this moon picture), did my yoga, bolted my breakfast, and zoomed down to the computer fixit store to confab with the lovely and talented Blake (who is young enough to be my grandson, in fact he's the same age as my oldest grandson) to see if there was a way to save my beknighted newsletter so I could ship it out in a format that all of the knitters could open.  After I raced home to get the program disk (didn't help) Blake had a brainstorm.  He saved each page as a jpg (picture) and then we put them into a Word document, et voila!, an open-able newsletter was born.  Halle-freaking-lujah!  He recommended that I spend a pretty penny on Microsoft Publisher but I think I'll take a leaf out of his book and just continue on with the jpg saving into a Word document and be done with it.  For now.  (BTW, I've gotten a few "atta girl" emails from guild members who really like the newsletter, very satisfying and it almost makes all the stress worthwhile--almost)

This afternoon Durwood had an appointment with a new doc to see about getting some pain relief.  We left with a couple choices for ways to tackle the issue and will be talking about it and asking questions but the doc upped his pain meds so that should be interim help.  Any relief is good relief.

All of that led to me coming in here just now to write the blog and remembering that I'd stripped the sheets off the bed and hadn't replaced them.  Good thing I'm a fast bed-maker.

As far as knitting progress today goes, I cast on the first February Preemie Hat at the doc's office but he wasn't a fan of people knitting while he was talking so I only got a couple rounds knitted.  I could tell he wasn't a fan when he told me to "stop that because what I'm saying is important."  Sure, doc, whatever.



Before and after supper I knitted on LC's wool mitten, getting through making the thumb gusset.  On the next round I'll place those thumb stitches on waste yarn or a stitch holder, then knit the rest of the hand, before coming back to knit the thumb.  I'm keeping notes so that the second mitten has a ghost of a chance to match mitten #1.  Maybe I'll give knitting two-at-a-time a whirl next time.

February 1--Augusta Laessoe, Wild Roses, Poppies, and Daisies by a Rocky Bank.  The flowers clung to the rocks like they were all that held them in place.  Clara felt the same way about her cottage just visible beyond the hedge.  Her life had been plunged into tumult when Graham ran off with his secretary.  No, they were administrative assistants now, but it didn't matter what you call the little tart that Graham had fallen in lust with, he and Marissa had run off to Mexico.  She shook her head.  You'd think being married to a travel agent for twenty-two years he'd have been more original in his choice of runaway destinations.  She guessed that was a sign of just how little he'd been paying attention.

I got a bit tired of trying to come up with something about either a flamingo or a brown pelican so I switched back to the Art Gallery calendar pages for my prompts.  I'll switch back, probably sooner rather than later if the temps stay in the single digits.  And they're promising us 3-6" of snow on Saturday which is the day we're meeting friends for brunch across town.  Oh well, if it isn't a whiteout we'll go.  We're intrepid that way.  
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Agree with your statement that any relief is good relief. Whatever works! Love the picture of the moon. Thanks for braving the cold, cold morning to share that with us late risers!