Sunday, February 4, 2018

Snowshoeing


I was determined to dig my snowshoes, boots, and poles out of the closet today and go outside to put them to their intended use.  They've spent the last two winters holding up one end of the coat closet, especially last winter when we had hardly any snow and I was afraid I'd reinjure my ex-broken ankle.  I went out around noon once the sun came out and cleared the driveway with the snowblower (I love my big red snowblower!) and spread some salt around to let the sun do its work, came in to have lunch, then got rigged up and went out to play in the snow.  I even wore my Rebel Girls hat.  I considered calling a friend to meet me in the park between our houses but reconsidered and decided to just patrol the perimeter of the yard a few times to see how the ankle liked it.  It was a good thing because after three circuits my left ankle let me know that it needed a rest.  I left the snowshoes, etc. piled up by the patio door so that we can go out and play again tomorrow.  I figure it's good for my ankle and me in general to get out there.  Plus imagine how puzzled the neighbors were to see me tromping around and around messing up the pretty, smooth snow and taking pictures of dead flower stalks.







I knitted on Lala's Shapka today and got the garter stitch band done and started on the fuzzy hat part.  I really like the way the blue hairy yarn looks with the rusty variegated yarn.






The snow on the birdbath shows how much we got yesterday--about 3-4," I think. Not really enough to be a problem and nowhere near the 6" they threatened us with.


I didn't write the prompt last night either.  Since I stayed up past midnight there was no way I was going to even attempt it.  And you're spared more food photos today, although I did make the mini turkey meat loaves out of the WW cookbook that I baked in a big muffin tin pan, and I made cauliflower "mashed potatoes" to go along with it.  Durwood had his Japanese Chicken Wings and Cowboy Beans for supper and I was a good girl and ate my yummy WW supper.  Everybody enjoyed their meal.  And there are leftovers of everything.  Oh, the big excitement (aka frustration) was just as the head of cauliflower finished steaming in the microwave the microwave up and died.  Yes, really.  I went downstairs to make sure that the breaker hadn't tripped.  It hadn't.  I even plugged the toaster into the socket to make sure it was the microwave that died and not the wall socket.  The toaster heated up so I hauled up an ancient microwave that Durwood used to take on the road when he was going to be gone for a week or more.  It let me reheat the wings and beans and will keep us in hot coffee and leftovers until we can go get a new damned microwave.  Wasn't it enough that we had to spend 2k to get new head gaskets put on the van and rent a car for 2 days this week?  The microwave had to go kaput too?  I love life.  Sometimes.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Damnit all! If it's not one thing, it's three (in your case). I remember when I was afraid of the microwave -- now I don't know what we'd do without it. Glad you could enjoy the snow and tromp around in your own backyard.