Sunday, February 25, 2018

Words & Food

Words, words, words.  I doubled down on the newsletter writing, gently nudging the people I needed things from and just now got it put together.  I'll give it a day to steep, talk to the kid at the computer place to remind me how to turn it into jpgs, then to a Word doc, and then to a pdf, and have it all ready to zoom over the ether to the Guild members on Thursday.  Ta-da!

As for food, this morning once CBS Sunday Morning was over, I got right to work making Chicken Breasts Pierre, the third recipe I'd picked out for this session of Investment Cooking and not a WW recipe so I can link to it.  The hardest part of this recipe is whacking the two big boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 6 reasonably equal pieces, then it's a snap to dredge them in a bit of flour, brown them in a little butter, then make the tomato/mustard/Worcestershire sauce for the chicken to simmer in.  I made a Walmart run once that was done, portioned out, and cooling in the fridge for some fresh veggies (we were flat out of 'em) and a roll of ground turkey for meatball making, probably not tomorrow but soon.  It'll be good to have a bunch of suppers stashed in the freezer.  More eating, less thinking.


My knitting friend, MW, came over after lunch with his impact drill to tackle the patio glacier.  It's supposed to get up to 40 degrees a couple days this week so I was glad he had the time.  I tried to convince him to move into the other side of the duplex because I know he's unhappy where he is now but the rent's too high and it might be a little too close for comfort.  It'd be nice to have a renter I know would take good care of the place, though.

For supper I made steamed mussels in a tomato, wine, onions, thyme, and parsley sauce.  Do you know that two little old-ish people can demolish 3 lbs. of mussels and a small mound of broccoli for supper with very little effort?  I salve my conscience that most of that weight is shells.  Yum.  I have a recipe I use for guidance but I don't think I've ever made the recipe exactly.  I sure do love mussels though.  I'm absolutely certain that they are very good for me.

February 25--Eadweard Muybridge, Jockey on a Galloping Horse.  From the stands they look like a single entity, man and horse joined in mind and body.  The horse's long thin legs look too fragile to propel his muscular body at the breakneck speed and the jockey looks too small to have a ghost of a chance controlling his mount.  Despite appearances man and horse move as one, communicating telepathically it seems, both straining toward the winning post, united in mind and body.

I do love horse racing but can't get over the oddball name of the guy who took the series of photographs the above grew out of.  "Eadweard" what kind of name is that?  February's almost over, can you believe it?  It'll be March on Thursday already.  Amazing.  How time flies when you're making suppers for the freezer.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You have become a cooking machine. So many delicious looking dishes prepared for dining and freezing. Very smart. And your Knitting Guild newsletter looks professional. Can't think of a thing you can't do!