Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A Little Better

It's exactly 10:00 PM so I have the potential for getting to bed earlier than nearly midnight.  I gotta say that I am so tired right now that I can hardly wriggle but I'm determined to blog before calling it a night.

Durwood gave me a sweet card for Valentine's Day (I gave him one too) and I planned a special supper for us.  I made Roasted Shrimp Scampi, Braised Artichokes, and steamed fresh asparagus, the first two Weight Watchers recipes and the last WW approved.  I'd never had artichokes without lashings of hollandaise sauce until a few weeks ago and, guess what, they're really tasty when you braise them in broth, wine, onions, and garlic.  Yum.  The shrimp get dotted with wine-herb butter (yes, real butter) and then sizzled in an iron skillet in the oven just until they're done.  Divine.  And what can you say about the first fresh asparagus of the season?  It too was luscious.

The only other thing I have to report is starting a pair of mittens with longer cuffs for OJ.  One of my knitting friends knits hats and mittens in kindergartner size for a charity and she remarked once that she always makes the cuffs longer so they have a chance to stay tucked into their jacket sleeves.  I've noticed that being a problem when OJ and I are out playing in the snow.  He's pretty good about keeping his mittens on but the acrylic ones get caked with snow quickly and the short cuffs leave his tiny little wrists exposed.  Not that he whines to come inside, quite the opposite, I think he'd stay outside all day if I'd bring snacks out to him regularly.  I envisioned knitting these two-at-a-time on Magic Loop and ended up with such a tangle that I fished out a second circular needle of the correct size and plan to alternate them so I get both done simultaneously and make them the same size and length.  They're red because when I asked him if he wanted Meemaw to knit him a Packer hat he said, "No, red."  So he's getting red mittens.  He'll get a Packer hat anyway; I already have the yarn and have picked out a pattern but that'll be for next fall.

I didn't write last night and the only cooking I did today was our supper.  Tomorrow we'll pack for our weekend escape and make sure we've got all the food we'll need because few restaurants are open in the winter up in Door Co. and when it's cold it's hard for Durwood to breathe so we just haul all our food and hole up for the weekend where we can't do chores and we're someplace else.  Oh, that reminds me, I need to have them hold the mail and newspaper.  I found out that it's better to leave a note for the postman because it takes too long for the message to get to him if I do it online.  

Anyway, I'm tired.  I'm going to post this and turn into a bed.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your Valentine's Day dinner looks and sounds delicious. Fresh asparagus -- my favorite! Your get-away to Door County also sounds delicious. Cozy and cold but holed up with all the wonderful food you've already prepared. You're to be commended.