Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Joys of Apartment Living

Barbara - I do NOT miss shoveling, ice picking, salting one little bit. Kudos to you lady for doing the work not meant for the faint at heart!

Thanks for the comments on my giraffe post - yes, it was a first draft..I may have the group critique it during my next submission night as I would like to do something with this.

I loved your poem - such sensual detail. You could see the romance budding among the spring setting. I'm not much of a poetry reader, but I definitely could get into poems like those! Well done!

Write About a Day Moon

uughhh---a day moon???? My mind automatically leaps to the sick and twisted and I thought about writing about a group of kids mooning drivers in the middle of the day....but instead I came up with this:

She cringed at the sound of his voice as he once again twisted his words intentionally to people who didn't get his sense of humor. It was one of the things that embarrassed her to no end and one of the reasons she distanced herself from him when other people were around. He either did not notice her reluctance to join them in social settings or he didn't care, for both he and his family loved to talk in this manner; either adopting a cheesy English accent or rearranging words or letters to liven up their conversation. Now that she thought about it, it made sense as their conversations were rather dull; but it was still an embarrassment none the less. "I should be arriving in Atlanta on Day Moon afternoon," he told a customer once. "Excuse me?" The customer's face expressed utter confusion. "Day Moon," her husband pressed on. "You know Monday." The red cloak of shame coursed through her entire body. It was no wonder he struggled in social situations, she thought. She saw the eyes of the others shifting nervously; looking for an escape route when they had accidentally engaged him in conversation. He was just weird, she realized. Too weird for her.

1 comment:

tike mik said...

The packers and movers of today use high-tech tools and strategies to guarantee complete security of your belongings.
House Removals Birmingham