Thursday, January 8, 2009

Up Before the Sun

Jennifer, just so you know you're not alone, I woke up in the dark this morning with a dry cough I couldn't get rid of and couldn't get back to sleep. I love this time of year. Not. I like your piece; it needs some more description of how "she" luxuriates in her bathing but you've got the foundation there. I like the contrast. And as for if anyone else is out there, I know Bob doesn't have a computer at home so he doesn't have ready access but Jenny's just not logging on. We need to get after her tonight.

January 7--Jan Vermeer Young Woman With a Water Jug. The deep blue of her dress makes her skin glow and enhances her pale blond beauty. She stands captured in the gold morning light, one hand on the window casement, the other on the silver handle of the water jug, which looks more like a pitcher to me. I wonder what she plans to do next. Is she closing the window or is she opening it to dump the water out? Or, better yet, dump it on someone passing below? Is she the daughter of the house in her teens and mischievous? Or is she a servant given to pranks and about to lose her place? I don't think she's a servant, her clothes are too fine, the fabric too rich for a servant girl. Perhaps her clothes are a costume put on for posing and the blue bundle in the chair is her usual rags.

See you tonight.
--Barbara

No comments: