Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

For once I don't have to make up some clever title for my blog entry. So, Happy New Year again! Did you ring it in? I stayed up until the church bells chimed but I was lying in bed reading and as soon as it was midnight, turned off the light; Don was already asleep. We're such party poopers anymore. We did have a lovely steak dinner. We had bubbly but decided it was too cold. Maybe later today.

Is everybody ready for a new year of writing? Got your writing resolutions all lined up? Me too. I'm looking forward to next Thursday so we can cheer each other up and on to bigger and better things in 2009. Sharpen those pencils and let's kick some writing butt. Here's my final effort of 2008, written about 15 minutes before midnight:

December 31--In anticipation of the night. All day long preparations are being made. Food is cooked. Drinks are chilled. Special clothes are pressed or aired. The tension builds until it's almost tangible, until you feel as if you could put out your hand and grab hold. When you pass people in the store or on the street you see the sparkle in their eyes, the glitter of expectation of celebration. This one night the barriers fall and everyone is the same. All are equal at this pinnacle of time, this instant when the earth holds its breath before plunging headlong into never-before-explored territory.

Happy New Year. If I had fireworks, I'd light 'em. May 2009 be even better than we hope. You guys are the best. Thanks for being my writing friends.
--Barbara

No comments: