Friday, January 30, 2009

Post Writer's Group Post

I thought we had a good meeting last night once we all got there. Everyone but Jennifer needs a remedial time-telling class. I try to be right on time, I do, but I get distracted by the yarn at Patti's on my way out the door. Plus those women are bad companions. Peer pressure, you know. Jenny, I hope we gave you intelligible critiques, and I liked every one of the freewrites. I never tire of turning a group of random words into some sort of story. We rock.

January 30--Elisabeth Louise Vigee-Lebrun, Self-Portrait in a Turban with her Child. Look at Elisabeth's hair. I love her hair. It's curly and I can tell that it's naturally curly too not set and styled. I want my hair to be like hers, all soft dark brown curls tumbling around my face and down my back. I am fully aware that childhood curly hair means tangles and tears, but I still wish I had it. Look at Elisabeth's face. She looks like a regular person, someone you might pass on the street or meet at your children's preschool one day. So many of the people in paintings look unreal to me, too foreign, too posed, but Elisabeth looks like a young mother who is happy with herself. I feel her eyes embrace me across the centuries.

Eh.
--Barbara

No comments: