Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What Bob Said

Nice dialogue, Miss I-Can't-Write-Dialogue. And I love what Jessup and Faith pack. Excellent characters. Okay, Bob, Hollace seems like the kind of guy who'll make her be quiet and patient. Nice name, too. While the two of you are spinning fiction, I can't seem to get away from memoir these last few days. Not that I'm complaining, you understand, writing is writing and anything's better than the wasteland that was the last few months. Months, people!

July 22--The first time I saw _____--The first time I saw a shark I wasn't a bit afraid. We were diving off Key Largo with the kids and a five-foot Nurse Shark swam by and tucked itself under a piece of reef. I was entranced. It was a beautiful blue-gray color with a whitish belly, and it was so graceful. I turned to look at Don and he had his hand on top of his head making the "shark" hand signal as if I might have missed it. His grin looked as broad as mine felt. David looked interested; Ann looked cautious. I swam closer, transfixed by the rippling of the gills as it drew in water to breathe. I got closer, my hand outstretched. I had heard that shark skin is rough and wanted to feel it, but Ann caught my fin and pulled me back. When I looked at her she was frowning at me and shaking her head "no." She caught my hand and towed me away from the fish. I never have been that close to a shark again. Darned Ann.

That's a true story. Evidently sometimes kids are smarter than parents.
--Barbara

No comments: