Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

Boom! Crash! *sparkle, sparkle, sparkle* Ooooooh. Aaaaaah. (There. That's my fireworks impression.)

On Thursday nights I usually get ready for bed and then think, Well, I wrote at writer's so I don't have to write tonight, close my notebook (if I'd even picked it up) and go to sleep. But not last night. Last night I thought, Even though I just wrote at writer's, I can't wait to write again. Big change.

July 3--Write about the inevitable--It was bound to happen. No one could keep a secret too long. Some things were just too delicious, too juicy to be kept to yourself. And living in a
small town made it so much worse. People expected to know everything about everybody. They thought they deserved to know, were entitled to be in the pocket of everyone else, and as far as JoEllen was concerned, too damned many people agreed. Even Doc who had sworn the Hippocratic Oath when he graduated medical school had sunk to the level of the common gossips who frequented the beauty salon and cafe in town. His were the loose lips that sank her ship, JoEllen was sure of it. No one else knew she was pregnant, not even her boyfriend Billy Ray. Certainly not her husband Roy.

See? It's not very long. Okay, you guys, I'm letting you read my drivel and I'm looking forward to reading yours. Cough it up.

Today I weed the asparagus patch and try to make sure I've got all the nettles out of the flowerbed--without getting stung too much. On the subject of inevitable, I think getting stung with nettles is inevitable. Here's a picture of my first ripe blueberry. Pretty cool, huh?

Enjoy your day!


--Barbara

No comments: