Sunday, November 13, 2016

Man, It Smells Good In Here

I gave in to temptation this morning (well, actually yesterday when I was in the grocery) and made a pan of Pumpkin Pie Bars.  It's kind of a dump cake.  You mix a big can of pumpkin with a can of evaporated milk, sugar, 4 eggs, and some spices until smooth, then pour it into a 9 X 13 pan.  A yellow or butter cake mix gets sprinkled on top, a cup of melted butter gets drizzled over the dry cake mix, and a cup of chopped pecans goes on top, then it bakes for an hour or so. It's still too hot to cut and sample (it had to cool on a rack for an hour and now it's spending 3 hours in the fridge) but you'd better bet I'll be having one ONE by the end of the day.  I also intend to cut the pan of bars into more than the stated 16 servings.  (Tomorrow morning's WW Weigh Day, you know)



It smelled pretty darned good in here last night too when I brought the Grilled Cornish Hen with Spanish Marinade in from the patio.  We oven baked a Butternut squash and steamed a pound of asparagus to go with it for supper.  The meat was very tasty and moist; we'll make it again.




After supper I sat on the couch icing my ankle and crocheted another slice of bread for the BLT, this one I'm calling "toast" because it's toast color and I used brown and white twist yarn for the crust.  I'll whip out another slice later at ankle-icing time.




I tried and tried to get a decent, no wires angle on last night's sunset but failed miserably, so you get this view, wires and all.  Are you all ready to see the Supermoon tonight and tomorrow night?  This full moon, the Beaver Moon (sometimes called the Frost Moon but I like Beaver Moon better, don't you?), won't be this close to the Earth for another 18 years, so don't miss it.  Pray for no clouds.  (click the "Supermoon" link above to watch live streaming video of moonrise from the U of Miss tonight and tomorrow nights)
 

This morning I potted one of the avocado pits that we've been sprouting since June 5.  See? It has a stem coming out.  Maybe next year we'll get a leaf.

November 13--Remember an afternoon.  Three o'clock couldn't some soon enough.  Three o'clock was check-in time.  That's when she went from wife and mother to become herself again for twenty-four hours.  It was only an hour's drive but it felt like she'd driven over the edge of the Earth into another dimension, at the very least into another time zone.  It had been so long since she was just herself that she wasn't sure what she'd do with all those hours of freedom.  Not nap, that's for sure.  She was tempted to stay awake for every one of those hours but knew it wasn't practical.  She'd take a walk, go sit by the lake if it wasn't pouring rain and watch the birds and waves.  Maybe she'd find a vantage point and watch the sun set and see the stars wink on.  It would be hard to make the time count but she was confident she'd figure it out.

I'm hungry so I'm off to assemble a pita salad sandwich which consists of a couple handfuls of chopped salad, a Tablespoon of salad dressing, 1 1/2 oz. of low sodium shaved turkey, stuffed into a Joseph's Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita (which I buy at Walmart), with a handful of grapes or an apple on the side.  The fragrance of those bars is getting to me.  Doomed, I tell you, I'm doomed.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That knitted piece of toast looks amazing. Almost good enough to eat! Raining here last night so no moon viewing for us. Darn it!