Monday, January 31, 2011

Sore


Snowshoeing yesterday was grand but I started to stiffen up in the lower back last night and today I'm feeling pretty darned old and creaky. We had a great time, the weather was perfect and there were a lot of people out there enjoying the sunny winter day, including DS and his lovely bride. We were waiting for the last one of our party to arrive when they tromped out of the trail. I was thinking of calling them to invite them along but didn't, and it's probably a good thing. They went the whole 1.9 miles; we took a shortcut and only did 1.25 miles. Think how stiff I'd be if we'd gone all the way! But I'll be eager to go again. It was fun. Today it's supposed to snow all day. Ah, Wisconsin in the winter! What's not to love?

January 30--German Settee. Licia loved the little gold couch in Great-aunt Chloe's dressing room. She loved that it looked like it was made of gold instead of wood and that it was carved to look like flowers and leaves. The seat was covered in soft green velvet like the best lawn, cushy and soft to sit on. It wasn't really a place where a person could curl up with a book and read. There were no arms to lean on and the back wasn't soft. Great-aunt Chloe said that when it was made ladies were expected to sit up straight, that even today a real lady did not recline unless she was retiring for the night. Great-aunt Chloe said that lax posture was a sign of lax morals. Licia wasn't sure she understood that, but she could tell it wasn't good to slouch.

Great-aunt Chloe is tres formidable, I can tell. A grande dame of the first water. I like her and I like little Licia. Maybe they'll show up again someday. In the meantime, I need to shower, dress, and go off to work to get my giant, economy-sized paycheck from working all those extra hours last week. Hooray!
--Barbara

No comments: