Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day 21 - Getting there

You are absolutely right, Barbara. I had to go bonk Russel on the head. I had let him creep into my mind stealthily. Stupid rat.

I started writing today with a section that I thought would move slowly. It did. Then the story took a sharp left that I hadn't seen coming, and Simon started doing things I didn't expect him to do, and then Carrie died. (Carrie's the girl that was dying of AIDS.)

None of today, save maybe 200 or so words, was planned. I love it. I think I'm getting some steam back, but it's still hard to sit down.

Favorite line from today:

I wandered the streets for a while, feeling lost. I had to wait for Becky to go home, but I did not know what to do with myself. Any threat from the criminal side of my business was gone. The bosses did not like each other enough to come after me for revenge. Furthermore, the criminal charges and the civil suit against me should soon be dropped, returning my life to normal.
That should have been a comforting thought, but it was not. 'Normal' felt empty somehow. I could not place the feeling that was overwhelming me, but nothing felt like it should anymore.

I stopped by Carla's Coffee and got a Triple Red Eye. It tasted bitter, but I drank it anyway.


Simon has actually undergone a transformation. No redemption, but he has changed. I did not see that one coming.

Keep chugging, Jenny! That come-from-behind victory will be far more impressive than anything I've done this whole month.

Bob, you keep at it, too. You've got a marvelous story that you need to unleash. Do just that: take the leash off.

Barbara, I have a feeling your story is not even close to being done, regardless of how close you are to 40,000. But we aren't thinking of things like that, are we?

Today's word count: 1885
Overall word count: 40,079

Oh, yeah, and whoever posted that picture of me, Barbara, thanks for showing the world how stupid I look while typing.

No comments: